Yongnuo Triggers PSA

fotomonkey

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know a number of folks are using these triggers since they're so inexpensive. I decided to give them a try when one of my PocketWizards died on me. I wanted to use the triggers with my Alien Bees but it has a 1/8" connector. All I had cable-wise was 1/8 to 1/8 and 1/8 to PC. The triggers use 2.5mm and PC.

One thing I noticed is that all of my PC cables fit very tightly on the trigger. I feel like I'm going to break something when I connect the cable. It's nothing like when I connect the same cable to the light meter, camera, etc.

To avoid damaging anything, I picked up a $4 adapter on Amazon. You need a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. Don't order the 3.5mm to 2.5mm or it'll be backwards (don't ask how I know). Once you have the adapter you can use a standard 1/8" to 1/8" mono cable plugged into the adapter and the adapter will fit the trigger. This is great if you have something like AlienBees or other lights that use 1/8" connectors (ie 3.5mm).

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. Everything is packed for today's photo trip.
yongnuo-adapter.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have half a dozen of the 622n triggers and love them!

I need to mod my 622TX to fire my 603s.

Shoot. I didn't even realize they made a controller. :)

I already had the same type of cables but mine fit super tight. To the point that I feel like I'm forcing them on. That's why I opted for the adapter and using the 2.5mm jack. I'm not a fan of adapters as the norm but I'm less of a fan of potentially breaking my gear. :)

Mine are pretty snug too, but I like that. If it's loose at all you get unwanted flash detonation that can cause problems.

Shoot. I didn't even realize they made a controller. :)

Yeah but it doesn't trigger 603s--which I find kinda lame to be honest.

I can mod the PC Sync port on the 603 to be an input and then connect to the YN622TX with the 2.5mm jack. Then I can just velcro it to the side of the TX and trigger both my YN622s and YN603s. That way I don't have to buy $40 eTTL receivers to trigger manual flashes.

I bet I could even mod the 603s to accept 3.5mm jacks and be even better. I dislike adapters.

Another good 603 mod is disabling it from needing to be on a hotshoe to fire the flashes, so you can trigger them from your hand when using a meter. Without you'd have to make sure one is on your camera, and actually take a picture.

Last edited:
You make a good point, Eric. I've had loose cables pop the strobe before.

Hmm, B, you've piqued my interest in the mods. I agree, I don't like adapters either.

I already had the same type of cables but mine fit super tight. To the point that I feel like I'm forcing them on. That's why I opted for the adapter and using the 2.5mm jack. I'm not a fan of adapters as the norm but I'm less of a fan of potentially breaking my gear. :)

Mine are pretty snug too, but I like that. If it's loose at all you get unwanted flash detonation that can cause problems.

That's what she said.

Most reactions

Back