You do what you got to do to get the shot

youknowmejuarez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We decided to take a day off from our studies and go enjoy nature. Its then when i realized that sometimes you just do what you have to do to get the shot without thinking.

Whats the craziest thing you guys have done to get a shot?

Attachments

• $27147_10151589121139031_1515939146_n.jpg
    $27147_10151589121139031_1515939146_n.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 159
  • $422113_10151589121509031_889941110_n.jpg
    $422113_10151589121509031_889941110_n.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
For my job I travel to many remote places where very dangerous work is going on. For the most part I end up in a local tavern and drink beers.

Nothing too extreme. Wading in the middle of a river and climbing up a slow moving waterfall

Recently, I had to climb up an 80' rock wall to shoot photos of kids climbing to the top. Well, I didn't have to, but wanted to for a better perspective.

Being that I'm not at all fond of heights, this was a pretty big deal for me...

What I want to know is: What was "the shot" you got by going down there?
Or was the shot you were after the one of you down there on the ledge? If that was the case, seems like you could have left the camera gear at the top.

I'm not a risk taker. I'm especially not a risk taker when I have expensive camera gear with me. Add to that vision problems and balance problems, and yeah...I don't climb out on ledges or down steep banks or out on tree limbs for a shot.
My "risks" are more like getting really close to a stinging insect just for a good macro, or risking traipsing through high grass where you can't see if there's a snake...

Mostly, I just risk public humiliation when people see a slightly overweight, out-of-shape, past middle-age woman (who is also 6' tall with red hair, so not like I stand out or anything... :lmao: ) laying on the ground or kneeling in some contorted position...or trying to get UP after getting the shot. :lol:
Generally, they first look like they are considering calling 911--once they figure out that I'm just a crazy person with a camera, then they start trying to figure out what could have been so photo-worthy to make it worth putting myself in that position.

Recently, I had to climb up an 80' rock wall to shoot photos of kids climbing to the top. Well, I didn't have to, but wanted to for a better perspective.

I will have to get you to the top of a wind turbine. I don't mind heights but standing on top with only a safety harness is quite unnerving!

I will have to get you to the top of a wind turbine. I don't mind heights but standing on top with only a safety harness is quite unnerving!

I'll pass. Runnah, have you seen the video of Joe McNally on the top of the building in Dubai? Link here

I'll pass. Runnah, have you seen the video of Joe McNally on the top of the building in Dubai? Link here

Childs play compared to this. I puckered in the few spots where they free climbed with no safety tethers.

Last edited by a moderator:
This video disturbs me on levels I can't even begin to explain....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've eaten it to protect my camera when a giant wave broke over my back...protect the camera! Only a flesh wound!

I shoot backyard birds. Difficulty - setting beer down to hold camera with both hands. danger - cooler lid slamming on thumb. but I persevere.

This video disturbs me on levels I can't even begin to explain....

I was hoping he would fall...thin out the gene pool and all, ya know? That's purely idiotic in the biggest way. No safety? **** happens, I don't care how strong you are...look at what happened to Steve Irwin.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back