You Got Style?

nolatome

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been shooting weddings for 6 years now, and finally I am getting to where I can feel a style developing for myself. I know there are many catagories out there phojo, traditional, classical/phojo, and most recent fashion styles. So the reason for this thread is what is the feeling out there, for wedding photographers?
I am a traditional wedding photographer, I focus on poses, and candid in between, but people management, and event organization are my strongest assets besides my photos. So I guess I use the classical/phojo approach. However I am finding that the Fashion look is becoming more popular, and I think is the most creative approach to weddings since photojournalism. I want to develop a style, so I would like to hear from others, how they got their style, and what they think of style in Wedding photography.
I mean are we just documentors, of a special day, or are we hired artists to create a lasting memory that uncle ester could never do with his digi-cam?

Good topic.

I personally don't like all the labels..."journalistic, classic, fashion" etc. Your style is your style and that's it. I can see where some styles can be compared to those different types of photography...but I don't think that putting a label on what you do really matters.

I'm just getting started in doing this professionally, but I've been shooting at weddings for years. I guess I have developed a style or way of doing things...but I don't know how I would categorize it.

Part of it is doing what the client wants and part of it is doing what you know because that's what attracted the clients to you in the first place.

I mean are we just documentors, of a special day, or are we hired artists to create a lasting memory that uncle ester could never do with his digi-cam?
Can't we be both?

Thanks mike, maybe that is the best style to have both, a good documentation, without being so artistic you loose the meaning of what we are shooting. However, I would like to have my style be an art, not just what the client wants. A fine line there. I think with the number of weddings out there we can have our own style and let the brides come to us.

I would like to have my style be an art, not just what the client wants
I think that comes with experience and maybe in the way you conduct your business. I took a wedding photography course in the fall and the instructor was a fellow who had been a pro for 30+ years. With his wedding photography, he just does what he does best and the clients love it. They come to him for that style and that's what they get.

Even when they kind of ask for something different...you can still 'do your thing'...and they will probably be happy with it. Part of this, is setting your price so that people choose you because of your style...and not just because you are cheap. That's another reason not to charge too little...the client that only hires you because of the price...will be the hardest client to work for.

I guess the real world problem is what to do when you get a request to do a wedding and they want something completely different than what you do? Do you shoot the wedding anyway...and suppress the artist in you? Or do you turn down the gig and try to book a wedding that will allow you to shoot it how you want to? I guess that's a benefit of being successful...you only need to take the jobs that you want to do and you don't have to make compromises, just to pay the bills.

Most reactions

Back