You need a SLR to get good pics

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Too bad mine had the wrong lens on when this opportunity came & I had to use my P&S Canon S5 with a Sony 1.7x Tele-converter on which is always ready for the occasion.

1. What did you throw out here?

IMG_4069_1sm.jpg

2. Oh, it's a stale bun

IMG_4071sm.jpg

3. Man, this was hard to get up here

IMG_4072sm.jpg

4. What, you did not think I could do it?

IMG_4079sm.jpg

5. Tis a bit dry

IMG_4080sm.jpg

6. I won't drop it

IMG_4082sm.jpg

Its funny how a few words can help the photos along with the story.

Very nice Ron

Last edited:
"You need a SLR to get good pics"

you a pro so You got to be right but can I ask a stoopid question? What is a good Pic?

Excellent captions can make photos so much more enjoyable than otherwise,and this is one of those times. Fun sequence to look at!

"You need a SLR to get good pics"

you a pro so You got to be right but can I ask a stoopid question? What is a good Pic?

Well sir, I am certainly no pro. The point of my title was to have folk look @ how good a bridge/super zoom camera can perform. I do not think I am bragging when I say the photos I just presented are as good or better than a lot I see here from dSLRs. It is not so much my skill as that of the camera.

I must say I get frustrated when a neophyte is always recommended to get a dSLR when asking about "what camera to get". It seems in this crowd nothing but a dSLR counts & that is what I am crudely trying to dispel. A super zoom for many is all they will ever need & is a great tool to learn on if they really want to progress to a dSLR.

My G1 was fitted with a short lens when this opportunity came up & so I grabbed the S5 with it's zoom capacity & made the most of it. I shoot mostly prime manual focus lenses on the G1.

I hope you understand my position.

Great shots, Ron.

...the photos I just presented are as good or better than a lot I see here from dSLRs. It is not so much my skill as that of the camera.

If your camera has a good lens it doesn't matter. Anyone that can frame can take good, clear shots. My Sony DSC H5 has a Zeiss lens and takes great shots. The first 3 years I made money from photos was with that camera shooting motorsports.

.5fps + .3 seconds shutter lag = a lot of *@#&$ :D

Still, when I got my 7D less than a year ago using 35mm era cannon glass and the kit lens the results were meh at best. I could never get equal results as I got with the Sony. I had lots more decent shots, but the quality out of the camera was dissapointing.

Once I put the 70-200 f2.8 L on the quality of my photography went straight back to that of the Sony only better, and tons less shots of a corner with no vehicle in it (or just a rear quarterpanel) because I missed the shot waiting for the camera.

Now at 8fps, undetectable shutter lag and nearly instant focus, I got a record 45% keepers on my first event using the 2.8. And it was at a day-time/night-time concert, the Mayhem Festival. (I shot Korn, Rob Zombie, Lamb of God, Hatebreed and the freestyle motocross team Metal Mulisha.) :mrgreen:

So yeah, a dslr isn't needed to get good picts, but it takes good picture taking to a whole different level. :peacesign:

The real mirrorless fun is in LF, 6x6, and MF rangefinders.

Great shots with great captions.
Thanks Ron - just cheered up the morning ;)

Wow, that's a big thing for that little guy to carry! I love the shots. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back