You never think it could happen to you...

I remember watching a group of schoolgirls bolt through the (closed) gates of the pedestrian walkway what appeared to be 10 feet in front of an appraoching train. They wanted to get on that train, and needed to get to the boarding side of the platform (so it wasn't going VERY fast, but still). It never occurred to them that since the train was STOPPING they could cross AFTER it passed and still make it.

In any case, the driver communicated back to the conductor staff, who raised hell until the girls came forward (or were pushed forward) and then this one conductor yelled at the girls "WE AIN'T GOT TIME FOR THIS DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH PAPERWORK THERE IS WHEN WE KILL SOMEONE?!! YOU COULD HAVE DELAYED THIS TRAIN FOR HOURS AND SCREWED UP THE WHOLE SYSTEM!" and then she kicked them off the train and made them wait for the next one. I coulda cheered.

Stupidity and Thoughtlessness are often indistinguishable!

I live like 40 feet away from a train. I dot see how you couldn't hear it. They're loud.

When they're running on flat ground or uphill they are pretty loud. That said, I've found that trains running downhill tend to be nearly silent when you're in front of them. I was just climbing around near a train bridge a few weeks ago in one of the canyons. Was paying attention to not slipping and tumbling all the way back down to the river when I heard that metallic tingle that the trains make in the rails. I looked up and there was a big ole freight train about forty feet away barreling down the tracks. The train was just rolling downhill, I didn't even hear it until it was on top of me. All I heard was that metallic tinging.

Last edited:

Ever watch the in car footage from some of those (less than professional) rally events in Europe where the public are standing on the track to get the 'good' photos?

That really makes the ol' freckle pucker...

Yep... seen some of those boys flying through the air... and landing hard too! OUCH! (no.. I am not talking about the rally cars!)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back