You'll let me know if I'm bugging you, won't you?

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am on a mission to get some GOOD bug pics. Was out today in my folks' garden and took these...
These are taken on my Canon 400d, 18-55mm kit lens installed correctly with +1, +2, +4, +10 dioptre filters added, and light provided by my super duper light diffuser/deflector that I made from mount board and tin foil. What do you think?

4927408922_1127d3ab27_b.jpg

4927432340_9fa571a29e_b.jpg

4927014063_c116ebca07_b.jpg

4926903989_1e0e9ec836_b.jpg

Here is the Super Duper Light Diffuser/Deflector...

4915239789_01f38eea0b_z.jpg

For me, these are way overexposed with harsh lighting (i.e. hot spots) which is surprising considering the large size of your diffuser's opening. I'd try backing the flash down a good bit and go from there. Lighting looks a tad flat to me as well, but that's probably a design of the diffuser from coming from directly overhead instead of slightly off axis.

For me, these are way overexposed with harsh lighting (i.e. hot spots) which is surprising considering the large size of your diffuser's opening. I'd try backing the flash down a good bit and go from there. Lighting looks a tad flat to me as well, but that's probably a design of the diffuser from coming from directly overhead instead of slightly off axis.

I have backed down the flash for some photos, but maybe not these...I can see what you mean about the hot spots.

This is only a first approximation for a diffuser - off-centre mounting might be the next step, but the engineering with the mount board will be a lot more difficult! :mrgreen:

I have backed down the flash for some photos, but maybe not these...I can see what you mean about the hot spots.

This is only a first approximation for a diffuser - off-centre mounting might be the next step, but the engineering with the mount board will be a lot more difficult! :mrgreen:

I use cardboard which is nice and stiff. I also completely coat the outside with strips of Black duct tape which makes it sturdier overall and looks less obtrusive. Might give it a try. My diffusers are pretty flimsy at first too, but once covered with the duct tape they are very sturdy.

Im not sure why, but the images feel like Im watching them on a tube TV. Kind of a weird distortion going on.

The images are pretty sharp. I like the first one the best. I know those moths are only about an inch long so you are getting pretty close. :thumbup:

Im not sure why, but the images feel like Im watching them on a tube TV. Kind of a weird distortion going on.

The images are pretty sharp. I like the first one the best. I know those moths are only about an inch long so you are getting pretty close. :thumbup:

That's got to be the cheap macro filters, you think? I had them all stacked on there, and they only cost a tenner, so I reckon they're not top quality, eh?

I am pleased in general with the sharpness, and yes, that moth was pretty small. The noise is worst, I think, and I think I know why it's there...high ISO was used to compensate for small aperture - this means I got focus better, but introduced noise. Note to self: try lower ISO and larger aperture next time! :D

That's got to be the cheap macro filters, you think? I had them all stacked on there, and they only cost a tenner, so I reckon they're not top quality, eh?
You are correct, sir.

Nice DIY nonetheless. Must be a bear to handle though.

You are correct, sir.

Nice DIY nonetheless. Must be a bear to handle though.

Can't do spiders with it...the diffuser wrecks the webs :(

Mind you, I don't like spiders ;)

You seem to have the same problem I do with hoverflies I can never get the eyes nice and red, they always come out really dark and dull looking.

That being said I am liking the DIY, I wish I had made more of an effort when I originally decided I liked macro photography. I just went out and bought a macro lens which ended up being a bit expensive.

Most reactions

Back