Young Photographer looking for help, possibly a mentor

IllegalDamage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey =] I've been trolling around the site the last few days and thought I would sign up and see what talking to a few advanced members could offer me. My name is Rhett and I'm 15... also I have no experience with photography at all :) I edit images all of the time in photoshop for various reasons (personal jobs, forum signatures, website templates... and just for fun) and I thought that instead of using everyone else's images I would start making my own. I feel like this is really something that I could learn to enjoy if I approach it right :)

Ummm.... to start off with I'm trying to find a good DSLR camera. I've been looking around and reading up on different important aspecs of photography and I'm thinking the Sony Alpha A350 is going to be my best bet. Large MP (14.2) and a nice Live View screen will help wonders since I'm not sure about ISO and noise levels.

I'm looking at spending around $800 max because the more I spend the more I have to make in order to get a new car =] So the less the better I suppose, however I do want to have a quality bodied camera that I can use for at least 5 or so years...

Thanks!

A good review of the Camera
A good starting Lens

Also note that I am taking pictures not only as an entry level photographer but also for web design and such. I always have great ideas for website content but can never find the right picture or one at a good enough quality. I'm very fluent in PhotoShop so editing features on the camera body itself is unnecessary.

-------------------

If you are interested in giving me some personal help on the day-to-day basis (or something to that effect) then just let me know =] I would really love to have someone knowledgeable around when I need some help... I'm sure I could help out some way in return, just let me know!

Last edited:
Do you think it would be better than the Sony A350? It seems to lack at every point including price...

First off I probably would not go with the Sony but that's my opinion. I've always been a Canon guy and would of course recommend the http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=11154 You could afford to get a very decent 50mm lens and a memory card with your budget. I don't know what you're shooting but if you want a telephoto lens it's going to cost a lot for something that will get decent results (I've seen great results from kit lenses but this is usually only in the hands of a pro). Even though I am a dedicated Canon user I have also seen great results from the other side. That's why I would also recommend trying out a http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25420/D40.html This camera can be used with a nice (surprisingly cheap) 50mm lens also and the beauty of either of these two choices is that your lenses can be used with bigger and better cameras in the future. I'm not going to tell you which brand to buy but I will say go try them in person and decide what feels best for you. And remember that you can never stop at $800, this is a hobby that unfortunately costs money. If you're not sure how serious you want to take this you might want to try one of the nicer point and shoot models. They are easy to use and well within your budget. Good luck and if you decide to take this further you can pm me any time with questions.

Alex

I agree with bigalbest. Go with Canon (my favorite) or Nikon. They have been and will be around a long time. They also have a multitude of accessory lenses available that will do just about any job you desire. He is correct in that you won't stop at $800.00 if you get the "bug". This is a lifetime hobby that does cost money. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want any specific advice on Canon gear. I have two "L" lenses, two XT's and one XTi and can give you some info. Buy glass not bodies.

First off I probably would not go with the Sony but that's my opinion. I've always been a Canon guy and would of course recommend the http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=11154 You could afford to get a very decent 50mm lens and a memory card with your budget. I don't know what you're shooting but if you want a telephoto lens it's going to cost a lot for something that will get decent results (I've seen great results from kit lenses but this is usually only in the hands of a pro). Even though I am a dedicated Canon user I have also seen great results from the other side. That's why I would also recommend trying out a http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25420/D40.html This camera can be used with a nice (surprisingly cheap) 50mm lens also and the beauty of either of these two choices is that your lenses can be used with bigger and better cameras in the future. I'm not going to tell you which brand to buy but I will say go try them in person and decide what feels best for you. And remember that you can never stop at $800, this is a hobby that unfortunately costs money. If you're not sure how serious you want to take this you might want to try one of the nicer point and shoot models. They are easy to use and well within your budget. Good luck and if you decide to take this further you can pm me any time with questions.

Alex

First off thanks alot for the reply =]

I am very interested in photography but I just want to start with a good DSLR camera that I can have and upgrade with lenses periodically over time (without buying a new body). With that said I'm going to go to BestBuy either tomorrow or this weekend and check out some of the DSLRs they have and see what feels the best.

Depending on what I get are there possible limitations as far as lenses and such? This is my biggest concern - the lack of possible growth in the future...

I agree with bigalbest. Go with Canon (my favorite) or Nikon. They have been and will be around a long time. They also have a multitude of accessory lenses available that will do just about any job you desire. He is correct in that you won't stop at $800.00 if you get the "bug". This is a lifetime hobby that does cost money. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want any specific advice on Canon gear. I have two "L" lenses, two XT's and one XTi and can give you some info. Buy glass not bodies.

Contacting now =] (well, once PMing becomes available)

First off thanks alot for the reply =]

I am very interested in photography but I just want to start with a good DSLR camera that I can have and upgrade with lenses periodically over time (without buying a new body). With that said I'm going to go to BestBuy either tomorrow or this weekend and check out some of the DSLRs they have and see what feels the best.

Depending on what I get are there possible limitations as far as lenses and such? This is my biggest concern - the lack of possible growth in the future...

I'm not sure about the Nikon but the Rebel takes the same lenses as the 1DSMKIII. And if you want advice you really ought to concentrate on glass first trust me on this. Your pictures will be much better no matter what the sensor size (do not go for the most megapixels you can afford, it won't help you). And always remember the salesman will lie to you or mislead you if it benefits him or her. Photography is always counter intuitive so choose your camera body based on what you can see and feel, not what you read in magazines or hear from advertisers.

I'm not sure about the Nikon but the Rebel takes the same lenses as the 1DSMKIII. And if you want advice you really ought to concentrate on glass first trust me on this. Your pictures will be much better no matter what the sensor size (do not go for the most megapixels you can afford, it won't help you). And always remember the salesman will lie to you or mislead you if it benefits him or her. Photography is always counter intuitive so choose your camera body based on what you can see and feel, not what you read in magazines or hear from advertisers.

I thought Megapixels determined the quality and sharpness of the picture (due to more pixels and higher resolution) and the lenses helped crisp them and get angles... I'm guessing I'm wrong?

I thought Megapixels determined the quality and sharpness of the picture (due to more pixels and higher resolution) and the lenses helped crisp them and get angles... I'm guessing I'm wrong?

No no, more MP's allow you to print or display larger images and only lenses can determine sharpness and image quality. Will you be printing larger than 8x10 right away? Probably not, but those same prints will look a lot better with a decent lens and small sensor than a large sensor with low quality glass. And now there is talk about pixel size also which can affect overall image quality. More MP could mean a small sensor with a lot more pixels (not necessarily better).

No no, more MP's allow you to print or display larger images and only lenses can determine sharpness and image quality. Will you be printing larger than 8x10 right away? Probably not, but those same prints will look a lot better with a decent lens and small sensor than a large sensor with low quality glass. And now there is talk about pixel size also which can affect overall image quality. More MP could mean a small sensor with a lot more pixels (not necessarily better).

I see... actually I'll most often be shrinking the pics down on the computer and posting them online in no larger than a 2000x1000 format... I just know that the more pixels there are the easiest it is to edit and cut from... then you scale it down and it looks perfect =] However I'm still not 100% familiar with the concept of lenses period so I'm only speaking from personal knowledge....

What beginning package would you recommend for up to $1000?

I see... actually I'll most often be shrinking the pics down on the computer and posting them online in no larger than a 2000x1000 format... I just know that the more pixels there are the easiest it is to edit and cut from... then you scale it down and it looks perfect =] However I'm still not 100% familiar with the concept of lenses period so I'm only speaking from personal knowledge....

What beginning package would you recommend for up to $1000?

It really depends what you're shooting. Portraits, landscapes, action, products, other?

It really depends what you're shooting. Portraits, landscapes, action, products, other?

Mainly Portraits right now though some occasional action... eventually I will want something that can do everything which is why I'm willing to get a body that won't get outdated (quickly) and upgrade from there, spending all additional money on glass.

I guess I would say I'll be doing the following:

70% portraits
15% action (football as the fastest action?)
4% landscapes
11% other (as in random images for websites and such, nothing special)

That's a pretty simple breakdown of what I plan to do anyways =]

Welcome aboard. And, oh yes, Canon. ;)

Mainly Portraits right now though some occasional action... eventually I will want something that can do everything which is why I'm willing to get a body that won't get outdated (quickly) and upgrade from there, spending all additional money on glass.

I guess I would say I'll be doing the following:

70% portraits
15% action (football as the fastest action?)
4% landscapes
11% other (as in random images for websites and such, nothing special)

That's a pretty simple breakdown of what I plan to do anyways =]

I'll stick with my original picks but might add more memory (8G card), tripod, camera bag and extra battery. Really nice lenses after this might be $1,000-$2,000 and upgrade bodies will be $1,000-sky's the limit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back