Young Zoologist

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of my favorites from the zoo visit. C & C welcome. It was a tough shot as the sun was low and right at left of frame. I had to move quick to avoid glare but still had to remove one spot in post. I still am learning Gimp but my goal is to try and get that Agfa APX 100 look. Never seem to get the blacks to look right in my eye. Maybe I am thinking of a different film? Not sure. Shot with Nikon P7100, Program Auto, f/4.5, 1/125s, ISO100, 8.8mm with digital zoom ration 1.0.

Syracuse Zoo 159-Zoologist.JPG

I think well maintained control of the highlights. And shadows are quite right.:icon_thumright:
However, nothing in the picture says he is what the title says he is, more, nothing there to recognize it is a zoo. Just a guy walking up the stairs, from behind.
Then, what make you think it looks like Agfa APX ? Do you have a lot of experience shooting APX ? Then I am sure about it, the look will be different, if APX would be develop in Rodinal, quite different in D76 and so on. Look of the film is not a afixed to it. The only way to get "look" of APX, is to shoot it, no imitate it.:icon_jokercolor:

Pretty well-done image you made there. I like the hell lift the guy has--that really carries the feeling of a walking person...gotta' have a heel off the ground! It's just one of those really important things that says, "Walking". This type of strongly sidelighted scene often looks better in B&W than in color, for a few reasons. You did pretty well. You seem to be getting good shots out of the new Nikon compact camera!

I think well maintained control of the highlights. And shadows are quite right.:icon_thumright:
However, nothing in the picture says he is what the title says he is, more, nothing there to recognize it is a zoo. Just a guy walking up the stairs, from behind.
Then, what make you think it looks like Agfa APX ? Do you have a lot of experience shooting APX ? Then I am sure about it, the look will be different, if APX would be develop in Rodinal, quite different in D76 and so on. Look of the film is not a afixed to it. The only way to get "look" of APX, is to shoot it, no imitate it.:icon_jokercolor:
Thank you for the comments. Yeah, I just named it, nothing representative. I have some B&W photos that were using that and was wondering if it can be closely duplicated. They were scrap photos I bought years ago from a photographer and like the fine grain, contrasty look of it. I can't seem to find the look editing in Gimp. I think I need more time with it and get better with my camera. I might shoot a couple rolls with it and see what's up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pretty well-done image you made there. I like the hell lift the guy has--that really carries the feeling of a walking person...gotta' have a heel off the ground! It's just one of those really important things that says, "Walking". This type of strongly sidelighted scene often looks better in B&W than in color, for a few reasons. You did pretty well. You seem to be getting good shots out of the new Nikon compact camera!
Thanks Derrel. I took several and yes, heel up was more interesting. I did not know that was preferred, lucky. However, I did notice that difference from others.

I like this camera a lot. I guy came up to me at zoo and he wanted to know what it was, he noticed all the dials and never seen one. He said that one slipped by him a few years ago. He was using a Nikon D750 and a Nikon 300mm zoom that was fat and short. Didn't give me much time to ask him about it as he was checking mine out asking all kinds of questions. He was amazed by all the control with it in a small package. He asked me why I chose that model since it was 3 years from new. I explained it to him and he said, that is the way to buy a camera! He was actually working on a shoot for the zoo. Nice guy.

The 300mm he had--maybe it was the new 300mm f/4 PF-E, or phase Fresnel, with the E or electrically-actuated lens diaphragm? It's one of the newest Nikon lens releases. It also has Vibration Reduction technology. In real life, it is almost the same size and shape and weight as the Canon 135mm f/2 L-series telephoto, but it is a 300mm lens.

Yeah...the control layout on the P7100 is very photographer-centric, kinda' old-school, sort of harkening back to the analog or film camera era. The Canon G-series is somewhat similar.

The 300mm he had--maybe it was the new 300mm f/4 PF-E, or phase Fresnel, with the E or electrically-actuated lens diaphragm? It's one of the newest Nikon lens releases. It also has Vibration Reduction technology. In real life, it is almost the same size and shape and weight as the Canon 135mm f/2 L-series telephoto, but it is a 300mm lens.

Yeah...the control layout on the P7100 is very photographer-centric, kinda' old-school, sort of harkening back to the analog or film camera era. The Canon G-series is somewhat similar.
Ahh, he did say Fresnel! Now I got to look up.. Can you sport a guy a link?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back