Your breakthroughs in photography?

Mmm...does it count if you feel like you're either on the verge of another breakthrough, or coming to the end of the intermission of two parts to a drawn-out one? ;)

I've been around cameras and photography nearly my entire life. I remember even from my earliest years seeing my mother carrying her Minolta XD-11 and taking photographs of everything she could. When I was very young, I even received a camera as a birthday gift: a shiny, new Kodak Tele-Instamatic 110.

I left that camera behind a long time ago, and drifted away from phtography as a craft for several years, but I became interested in it again a few years ago when I inherited a Minolta X-700 and a bagful of lenses. At the same time, my mother purchased a brand-spanking-new Canon Powershot G5. The Powershot G5 was the source of my first revelation: that I was capable of capturing images that fascinated people.

When that first image captured people's attention, I wanted to understand how it was created: the mechanics of it. I've always been technically minded, and my parents always told me I should be an engineer. With that background, I tackled the mystery of exposure like a math problem. I started playing with Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO to see how they affected images. Learning how to make the camera capture an image the way I wanted it to was a HUGE breakthrough.

The next breakthrough was when the first person was willing to pay me to take photographs for them. The idea that someone was willing to pay me - rather than an established professional - seemed ludicrous at the time. It seems even more ludicrous now, when I realistically assess the skill level I was at at the time. That happened to me twice more last year, and I did three times as many TFCD shoots. This year is looking even better, with three paid gigs lined up in the next two weeks. Not bad for a kid who grew up in the slums.

My most recent realization is that if I truly desire to become a professional, and make my living off of my photography, I will absolutely need to learn post-processing skills. This has nothing to do with my photography, simply the demands of the industry. If you don't know how to manipulate a raw image (camera RAW or film negative) you will be passed over in favor of those who can.

And in response to neea, I have held this credo true for some time: "Anyone can pick up a digital point & shoot camera and call themselves a photographer, but to consistently compose compelling images takes a great deal more." It's sort of like the difference between cleaning a gun and playing Russian Roulette. Only without the whole risk of death thing.

Cool thinking kiddo...

Thank you very much!!! :)

Mad_Gnome:
And in response to neea, I have held this credo true for some time: "Anyone can pick up a digital point & shoot camera and call themselves a photographer, but to consistently compose compelling images takes a great deal more."

Very true.

I sure like this topic. This is exactly why I come to this forum. I could never talk to my friends or family about this sort of stuff. They'd never get it

I think my first one was understanding how apature and shutter speed works I think it took me atleast a week to understand also a recent one is how to use the histogram has really helped my images no end and that was off someone on here.

Break-through update!

RAW- Goodbye .JPG!

Using a tripod

Experimenting with a handheld meter

Using a monolight

reading books and not forums.

Actually, for me, it was kind of gradual. I started shooting for serious back in '99. I sucked pretty bad for the first couple of years, and gradually improved as I shot more and more. Buying an EOS-3 in 2001 really got me going, but for the most part, up until 2003 or so, I'd only have a couple of keepers per roll of 36. Getting an enlarger and developing equipment helped me understand exposure quite a bit. I got my first digital body in 2005. Something clicked somewhere in 2006. I have no idea what, but suddenly I was looking at the stuff coming out of my camera and wondering how the hell I did that. I think purchasing an ultrawide (the 10-22) for up-close tornado/storm photography might have had something to do with it; I love symmetrical photos with lots of leading lines, and that's pretty much what rectilinear ultrawides are known for. :)

I think the biggest thing to good photography is having a good eye. If you have a good eye and you're new to the technical skills, eventually your skills will improve and you'll be able to more consistantly translate your vision to print.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back