Your family stories

My great grandmother was knocked up in Kilkenny Castle by one of the Butlers of Ormonde. Unfortunately, she was a commoner who cleaned chamber pots and stuff and that's how we came to America. Thus, I am an official card carrying member of the Society of Royal Bastards. I visited Kilkenny Castle last summer and flashed my card hoping for some kind of perk but only got a laugh...and then a comment of "is that real?"

I'm guessing you heard that story every St. Patricks day after a few green beers.

My great grandmother was knocked up in Kilkenny Castle by one of the Butlers of Ormonde. Unfortunately, she was a commoner who cleaned chamber pots and stuff and that's how we came to America. Thus, I am an official card carrying member of the Society of Royal Bastards. I visited Kilkenny Castle last summer and flashed my card hoping for some kind of perk but only got a laugh...and then a comment of "is that real?"

I read that once normally and thought "meh". Then I re-read it with an Irish accent and found it hilarious.

what isn't funnier with an irish accent?

I used to have an aunt who wore bottle-cap thick glasses, she was short and squatty, and she was kid of an eccentric badass.

She lived out I an old ranch house outside of a small Texas town, and because she lived out there she would literally fire warning shots with her shotgun at the feet of anyone coming up to her driveway if they didn't call first, mostly because we couldn't see well enough to know who it was.

She was also a hoarder. She would buy recently expired cans of food and stack them inside her house until my dad and his siblings had to go and empty out the rotten cans into a truck to be dumped. The walls and halls of her house were lined to the ceiling on either side with CBS and sacks of food.

One time she gave my dad's family a sack of vegetables that had a bunch of bugs and cockroaches in it and it turns out that she got it from a dumpster behind the supermarket. Her defense was that it had just been thrown out lol

She drove an older car that rode on the bumper because she always had a literal ton of books in the back. And she never stopped at stop signs or red lights. Ever. When she'd get stopped by the local cops she'd roll her windows up and lock the doors and would not talk to look at the cops until either the cop or someone else called my grandpa, her brother, to come talk to her.

She was quite the character, quite the character indeed.

My family's pretty boring, but I have a tidbit.

My uncle Bummy (or Reds) was the head plumber at Fort McNair, in Washington, DC. He met then-VP Bush (the older one) whom used to take morning jogs at the facility. One of his "other" jobs was to play Santa at a local hardware store, which he had done for years. The VP would always stop and briefly chat whenever he saw uncle Bummy. Bummy ended up playing Santa for Bush's Christmas parties. Now, my uncle, being pretty much an old country boy, called everyone "Hoss."

After the 1988 election, during the morning jog, one of the Secret Service detail spots Bummy ands tells him "You-know-who is looking for you." Bummy tells the agent that he'll be hanging out, over by the pool. Shortly thereafter, President-Elect Bush jogs up. "Hey Reds, did hear I got a promotion?" "Yes, sir," Bummy responded, "and I want you to know that I will call you 'Mr. President'." Bush looked at my uncle and said "Well, what the hells wrong with 'Hoss' like usual?"

My mom at 79 was shooting photos from inside a train in the Canadian Yukon when she decided that she did not like the camera angle, so of course she went out the door of the train and climbed on to the top of the train while it was going through the mountains. She was happier with her shots but the train staff nearly went crazy.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back