Your favorite lightweight camera?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Besides a DSLR, what lightweight camera has interest you?

I owned the Fuji X20 for a little bit..thought the camera was pretty good, but I found the sensor was lacking and that might have been because the sensor was only a 2/3 and not a APS-C that I was use to at that time. I ended up selling that and getting a used Fuji X100 which I enjoyed far more than the X20, but it also felt lacking and limiting. I ended up selling it to fund for the D610.

While I enjoy shooting with my DSLR, there are times I wished I had a lighter camera or something more compact. I thought about getting the Ricoh GR, been hearing good things about that camera and it uses a 18.3mm lens which is a tad wider than the X100 which I don't mind. It doesn't have a EVF or OVF..but it does have a fantastic sensor with good dynamic range and the price is right.

If you were going to buy a lightweight compact camera, what would you get and why?

I decided for the things that I was doing (travel, family, etc.), micro 4/3 was plenty good enough. I pitched all my big black gear, bought a Panasonic GX-7 and never looked back. The 45-200 lens is all the telephoto I need.

I ditched my bulky Canon rebel for the Sony nex7. The af ended up being too slow for my needs so I added a Nikon DF to my collection. I love it. (I know you said dslr's don't count, but it is quite lightweight) I have been eyeing the a6000 though as a backup camera. Mainly Because I am curious if the af has really improved that Much. As of now, my DF is my main camera and never a burden to tote. The Sony is definitely lighter but has only seen daylight when I've accidentally let my battery die, and when I was meeting a new group of people and didn't want to have a flashy camera.

I use the Canon M (original) for events and lightweight travel. It's shirt pocket size with the pancake lens, takes all the other lens with an adapter and only $250 with the 22mm pancake

(I wish the M2 and M3 was available in the US at that price!)

some pics with the M1

c w Flickr - Photo Sharing

Coolpix A. DX. 16mp. DSLR Fixed 28mm lens. Shirt pocket size. Was originally marketed by Nikon for 1100,00. Available at times refurbished for 300.00.
Nikon COOLPIX A

Last edited:
Canon G15, not a low light moster yet is a nice capable camera works really good in good to mid lighting condition but even in lower light it can still hold its own.
Fast lens and has all features a DSLR has, flash is completly useless.
All in all a nice little camera for a photography fan who wants a bit more from his P&S second camera (its my third camera and most of the time my wife uses it).

Michael Johnston over at the Online Phtographer is a big fan of the Fuji X-T1 series. You'd be used to the APS-C format, but it's mirrorless, so the body is lighter, if not the lenses. You'll need an adapter if you want a variety of lenses, but they may exist for the ones you already own.

Last edited:
Leica Digilux 1

I think I might get the Ricoh GR instead of a new lens right now. Its exactly what I'm looking for, lightweight, compact..wide angle prime and APS-C sensor with decent noise and dynamic range performance. Doesn't look retro like or has viewfinder..but gotta sacrifice something! Its affordable for me as well. Hmm.

I currently use a Ricoh GR IV Digital for that. I wouldnt call it a "favorite" though. I am unhappy with the image quality.

I am looking into the Ricoh GR, the Fuji X100, and most recently the Leica Q for a replacement. So far I cant make up my mind. The Leica Q seems pretty perfect all around, but it has ergonomic issues (nothing a firmware update couldnt fix - but will we get such an update ?).

"The people should not attempt to change history. It is the task of history to change the people."

John Le Carré, Smiley's People
Actually history is always written by the winners and the elite. As such, its simply a lie.

I borrowed a Lumix GM1 for a vacation in London. Loved it.
If I had to buy a small light weight, I'd get a Leica D-LUX Type 109

I got myself a Leica M5. feels solid; not lightweight plasticky but a lot lighter than my 5DIII.

Mine is the Rollie 35 there is only 1 35mm camera smaller

Ha! I was going to post the same thing! :D The Rollei 35S is fantastic and quite small.

If I go digital (anything more than a point and shoot), I'm going Fuji. I know I won't bother shlepping a DSLR kit around and I like images from a Fuji sensor much better than DSLR images anyway. The question is whether or not I get a fixed lens or interchangeable. Probably the latter since I like the idea of using my current lenses with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back