Your favorite medium format camera?

A few years ago, I sold off all my medium format cameras, mostly Mamiya 645, RB67, and C330. They'd sat gathering dust since I converted to digital. A few months ago, I got the urge to start taking M/F transparencies again, and started looking for more equipment. After searching eBay, I found a Mamiya 645 Pro TL in Japan. It had nearly everything I needed to restart; $500, + $35 shipping. The Japanese are very conservative in their condition ratings. These items appeared nearly mint condition, but rated good by the seller. Everything works perfectly.
  • Body and A/E finder
  • 3 backs
  • 50-110mm zoom
  • 45mm f2.8
  • 4 extension tubes
  • 2x Mamiya T/C
Since then, I've picked up the following lenses for nearly "fire sale" prices:
  • 80mm f1.9
  • 500mm f5.6
  • 300mm f5.6
  • 210mm f4
  • 120mm f4 Macro
I just finished my first roll of Fuji Velvia ISO 50. It's being processed and scanned now.

The only glitches for many would-be film shooters are lab access(esp. E-6) and available repair resources.

I sold my Hasselblad 500C/M three years ago and I'm very sorry about that...:BangHead:
Yup, I did that too. Ditched my 500C/M for the H1. I should never have ditched the 500C/M and just bought the H1 in addition to the 500C/M.

My poor H2 is dying to have a lens put on it. I forgot the amazing sound these massive mirrors make when they slap up.

The only glitches for many would-be film shooters are lab access(esp. E-6) and available repair resources.

E-6 processing, even medium format, isn't difficult to find in the Detroit Metro area. The problem has been finding film. I'm buying from B&H right now. Both developers I've contacted also do hi-res scans, so I'm good to go on that. However, I have several hundreds of 6x4.5, 6x6, and 6x7 transparencies to be scanned, along with a few thousand 35mm slides. I think I'll probably buy a good scanner and start doing the job myself. Winter time up here is ideal for that kind of work.

I do worry a bit about potential repair. However, there's a great local repair shop here, and I've found a couple on line. I'm definitely going to get a second body, though.

A few years ago, I sold off all my medium format cameras, mostly Mamiya 645, RB67, and C330. They'd sat gathering dust since I converted to digital. A few months ago, I got the urge to start taking M/F transparencies again, and started looking for more equipment. After searching eBay, I found a Mamiya 645 Pro TL in Japan. It had nearly everything I needed to restart; $500, + $35 shipping. The Japanese are very conservative in their condition ratings. These items appeared nearly mint condition, but rated good by the seller. Everything works perfectly.
  • Body and A/E finder
  • 3 backs
  • 50-110mm zoom
  • 45mm f2.8
  • 4 extension tubes
  • 2x Mamiya T/C
Since then, I've picked up the following lenses for nearly "fire sale" prices:
  • 80mm f1.9
  • 500mm f5.6
  • 300mm f5.6
  • 210mm f4
  • 120mm f4 Macro
I just finished my first roll of Fuji Velvia ISO 50. It's being processed and scanned now.

Not over here in the UK :bouncingsmileys:

Well, I'm thinking my favorite is likely to be the Hasselblad H3D in the very near future, assuming it's still around.

The Mamiya RZ67 by default since it is my only one.

I miss my old black bodied Hasselblad 501cm. I also had a 500cm that was my first Hasselblad and served as a backup, but the 501 was just a wonderful work tool. Some days I'd go through a hundred rolls of film with alternating backs and it was just a joy to use, especially with the prism finder.

I'm seriously considering a move back to medium format, but it will have to be digital.

Last edited:
Had one of those (graflex xl) when I was in the army but that was almost 50 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, operator malfunction. Hope to figure out posting eventually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Favorite is hard for me, I regularly shoot several that I love.

Pentax 645N, Fuji GW670III 90mm, Fujifilm GW690II 60mm, Debonaire FPP camera 645, and ye ole Holga 120 are regular shooters for me.

da45987ec5add9589bc58eb9b776c2db.jpg

9ad81574d239e540b56e79479ee3a987.jpg

Most reactions

Back