Your favorite music

CDG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am one of the few I know of who listens to an enjoys every genre of music pretty much. I'm always trying to expand my tastes. I have been known to listen to Eminem, Eric Clapton, Good Charlott, Chopin, Billie Holiday, Rage Against the Machine and Koko Taylor in a matter of an hour. Even still, I have favorites within the music I like. I consider myself to be a big Jimi Hendrix fan. I love the sounds to come from the folk-rock scene and love Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson. I am enamoured with the Blues, especially the greats- BB King, Ry Cooder, Jimi Hendrix (he is a bluesman more than a rocker in my book), Muddy Waters and Koko Taylor. I prefer the driving electric Chicago blues.

This is not to say though that lately I've been growing and expanding a collection of Billie Holiday. For those of you unfamiliar and who like old jazz, I highly recommend her music. Her voice is quite different from the quintessential voice of Ella Fitzgerald.

As a mediocre guitarist myself, I enjoy playing blues and folk riffs and jamming with friends from time to time. Sometimes the sounds and lyrics come out good and other times not, but I find playing is incredibly fun. Of course I pick up something here or there, but I don't take my playing very seriously which is probably why I find it so entertaining.

So with all that about me, what do you like for music? I highly doubt anybody here will list something I don't like. The only thing I require about all music is that you respect the tastes of others, especially in the open forum environment. Feel free, however, to snicker at the person going down the road with the 8,000,000 watt stereo system blaring music you find grating. :)

Metallica, Sparta, Fuel, Sevendust, James Taylor, PAUL SIMON!, Lee Hester, Andy Davis, Foo Fighters...

This is an excellent thread CDG, well done! I love music as obviously you do as well. Here is a list of the sort of things that I listen to regularly (in no particular order);

Levon Helm
Jethro Tull
Steeleye Span
The Albion Band
Richard Thompson
Tri Yann
Fairport Convention
Show of Hands
Ashley Hutchings
Dan Ar Braz
Glaz
Pentangle
Alan Stivel
Flook
Tarras

And the list goes on and on.....

J

Too many individual groups/artists to list....it's easier to mention genres. I like rock more than anything, especially what is called "classic" rock these days. Turn it up and give me bands who can flat out play their instruments, and I'll be there. :)

I love classical music, big fat orchestral sounds....YUM!! About the only genre that leaves me kinda cold is hip hop/rap. Never got into it.

And the Beatles, of course. Aren't they a genre by now? ;)

The first song I can remember hearing and enjoying was back when LL Cool J released "Mama said Knock you out"

Now a days I totally hate listening to rap/hip hop I think the last rap Album i owned and still like is Dr. Dre the chronic.

I LOVE!!! Rock music (I file everything from punk, metal, classic, pure, etc under rock so I wont call bands by their individual genre Im just going to say rock). The first exposure I had to rock was Green Day "Basket Case" from there I started listening to other rock bands like Korn, Alice in Chains, Green Jelly, Metallica, etc bands from the early 90s. Then music turned to crap with the turn of the century you know that whole pop invasion thing, Im sure other people love it its just not my taste.

Music was totally important to me in Iraq I used to listen to songs like Rob Zombie "Demonoid Phenomenon" to get me pumped and ready to kill and then id listen to artists like Jack Johnson to put me to sleep or bring me down.

The genres I listen to now is pretty much limited to Jazz, Rock, and Country. Im a huge fan of rock from the early 90s and always will be and I consider that the music from (or for) my generation (20 somethings).

Last year I tried to make a list of my top 10 favorite bands/artists of all time. Its a work in progress still but its almost done.

1. Nirvana
2. Green Day (of the 90s) - They were number one but I had to seperate them from the Green Day of the 90s and the American Idiot Green Day (new) in order to keep Green Day in my top 10. Not a huge fan of their new music.
3. Johnny Cash
4. AC/DC
5. Black Sabbath
6. Metallica
7. The Offspring
8. Creedence Clearwater Revival
9. Led Zeppelin
10. *TBD*

A few notable bands that I love are Lamb of God, Mudvayne, The rolling Stones, The kinks, System of a Down, Kataklysm, the Ramones, Children of Bodom actually there are soo many rock bands that I love I cannot even attempt to list (Is Chuck Berry considered a band? HE ROCKS!!!). For Country I love Hank Williams Jr because hes the one that got me listening to country other than Johnny Cash.

I do own more than 1000 CDs and 300 full albums in mp3 or mp4 format.

What a great thread...but so hard to choose! I come from a musical family so it's always been around. These are some of my "all-time" favorites...

Fleetwood Mac
Yes
Beatles
Carole King
Janis Joplin
Neil Young
Steely Dan
Bob Marley
Hall & Oats
Tracy Chapman
The Ramones
Bonnie Raitt

aaaaand....I guess I'll stop there :blushing:

Darn I thought I wrote a lot above but your posts made me realize how many I left out! I'm a huge Beatles fan as well and have probably more of them than any single band in my music collection. I recently procured Crosby Stills Nash and Young, the Darkside album and the Best of Jefferson Airplane. I have to say I prefer the Airplane days to the Starship days, but Starship still had a few contributions to the 70s rock scene...

Can't argue with J.S. Bach either. While I love rock and blues, I still have tremendous respect and a lot of love for a music tradition that stretches over 300 years...

Music is my life. Currently I am in to Breaks and Drum and Bass with Hip Hop thrown in. I have all but forsaken my "rock and roll" background.

Dj's I would kill to see:
Baby Anne
Freestylers
Adam Freeland
Fresh
Rap
Jenna G (not sure if she is a dj)
Logistics
CLS
Cyantific
Basically anyone from Hospital Records.

Live Drum 'n' Bass I would kill to see:
London Elektricity
Pendulum
Step 13

Hip Hop:
Roots
Tribe Called Quest
De la Soul
GangStarr

LUV AND BASS

I made one of these a while back, but you can never have too many music threads!

So.... where to start? :p

I like classic rock n' roll. Not so much the new stuff, although I like some newer artists; Five for Fighting, Counting Crows, The Goo Goo Dolls.

But what I listen most to is...

-The Beatles
-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
-John Lennon
-Five For Fighting
-The Traveling Wilbury's
-The Rolling Stones
-The Ramones
-Oasis
-The Who
-Bob Dylan
-Goo Goo Dolls
-Counting Crows
-Blind Melon
-Chris Daughtry
-Simon and Garfunkel
-Switchfoot
-The Fray
-The Eagles
-Aerosmith
-Death Cab for Cutie
-The Byrds

...and on and on and on. :)

Oh, and I also like musical soundtracks and a lot of indie/dancish stuff.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned two of the most successful music groups of all time - Queen and Pink Floyd.
Simple Minds
Hall and Oates
Jean Michel Jarre
Tangerine Dream

I've seen PF, Simple minds, Hall and Oates and Seal in concert.

Going to see George Michael in June in Glasgow too
:)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned two of the most successful music groups of all time - Queen and Pink Floyd.
Simple Minds
Hall and Oates
Jean Michel Jarre
Tangerine Dream

I've seen PF, Simple minds, Hall and Oates and Seal in concert.

Going to see George Michael in June in Glasgow too
:)

I'm surprised too. Pink Floyd has been my all time favorite band since I was 12 years old.

Didn't start getting into George Michael until he made the Older album and turned off the bubble gum. I was on vacation in Cancun, Mexico when I first heard that album and pretty much listened to it every day for a year after...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back