Your favorite OCF modifier...

PhotoWrangler

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.themodernmutt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've always used bare flash when shooting with OCF, but I'm interested in trying out some modifiers.

I'm wondering what there is out there, besides the ever popular Gary Fong gear.

So if you shoot OCF, whats your favorite modifier(s)?

i love shoot through umbrellas.
sometimes softboxes if i need more directional light, but for people shots, its mostly shoot through umbrellas.

Well, I do have to admit that I have used umbrellas from time to time. I forgot about those.

What kind of softboxes do you use?

nothing terribly fancy or expensive.
promaster softboxes. the only local camera store in our area carries them.
same with our shoot through umbrellas.
cheap(ish) but they work well enough.

Unless you are shooting when the it is kinda dark (dont have to close down the aperture to maintain sync speed), a speedlite isnt really that powerful. Bare flash is your best bet. Just my honest opinion.

Photek Softlighters ( I usually use my Monos for these... but will sometimes pop one with a flash). Lastolite EZ softboxes come in really handy for some situations... and can even be used on a bracket if need be. My other favorite OCF modifier is the nearest wall or ceiling if it provides the light I need...

Snoots and umbrellas are pretty much the only modifiers I use frequently (not at the same time, haha).

The Lastolite Umbrella Box at $69...Lastolite LL LU3226F Umbrella Box LL LU3226F B&H Photo Video

followed by the inexpensive Steve Kaeser Enterprises knock-offs at $29 each... Steve Kaeser Photographic Lighting

Derrel, does this work with speedlights?
Yep, you'll just need a speedlight umbrella bracket.

I've got a 50" Wescott box that produces absolutely gorgeous light with a single SB800, but really my favorite depends on the situation. Sometimes it's a BD, sometimes a brollybox. If you want the most versatile, I'd grab a couple of convertible umbrellas.

The Lastolite Umbrella Box at $69...Lastolite LL LU3226F Umbrella Box LL LU3226F B&H Photo Video

followed by the inexpensive Steve Kaeser Enterprises knock-offs at $29 each... Steve Kaeser Photographic Lighting

Derrel, does this work with speedlights?

Not Derrel, but yes to both.. the lastolite and the softlighter / PBL copies will work with any thing that will fit into that sock / hole.

check out the videos http://www.lastolite.com/umbrellabox.php

Most reactions

Back