Your Feedback Requested

davidlunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidlunt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am getting ready to order post cards to be used in my marketing. The primary use will be to add them to bulletin boards that allow business cards/post cards, etc..

I want to make sure it looks professional and will stand out. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

9kh8je

Well, the photo isn't showing up even though I supposedly followed the correct procedure. I will have to go back and see if I can figure out where i'm going wrong. In the meantime, if you are so inclined this is the link to the picture.

Thanks

http://flic.kr/p/9kh8je

Last edited:
The layout looks good, but I'm not fond of the mix of fonts, or the way the text intrudes into the image on the right. Other than that, I think you're on to something!

I agree with tirediron's comments about the mix of fonts (and the text overlapping the right hand image). Specifically, the font used for your list of specialties is close enough to the font used for "Photography" in your logo that it just seems off more than being in real conflict. I took a quick peek at your website and one thing I would suggest is thinking about your brand and being more consistent (still speaking about fonts). Just on your splash page I see four different fonts used in your identification: two in the David Lunt Photography aperture logo, a different one in the David Lunt Photography header, and a fourth in your watermark. I assume your watermark is your handwriting, and I think it would be fine if the rest of the fonts were consistent, but as it is it just adds to the disunity. I also notice at least three different versions of your watermark (David Lunt Photography c on one line, on two lines, and just David Lunt c) - I'd recommend going back through and redoing the watermark where necessary to be consistent.

Sorry for the unsolicited critique of your website, but I do think that considering the branding issue is relevant. Getting back to your original question... I would switch at least your web address at the bottom to a non-cursive font. The way people's brains work is that they don't actually read every letter in front of them, they recognize enough of each word to make the jump to what that word is. For something like "Senior Portraits", the eye will recognize enough to make the leap to those two familiar words, so I don't really mind the cursive here. However, for a web address, where you need to identify every letter to get the address correct and where, even if composed of familiar words, it is a run-on, compound, new word, the cursive makes deciphering (and hence remembering) just a bit more difficult. Also, the red you use gives the right side a subtle frowny face - the aperture symbol in your logo as an eye, the arc to "Memories that last a lifetime!" as the frown.

I too like the overall concept - I'm going to be a bit nitpicky about the execution of it. There are a few things about the film strip which may or may not be worth addressing...I'm not saying to change anything, just consider these if you haven't already. The film border itself is clearly an illustration, which doesn't really jive with the realistic photos placed on it. On real film the images would be rotated 90 degrees - I know you picked your orientation based on the overall layout, which makes sense, and it's up to you to decide if you care enough when a viewer notices that and wonders if you use film and how much you really know. Not trying to be harsh, and not many people would probably care, just putting it out there. At the least I'd "horizontally" center the images within the black portion of your film strip (even if it is offset on real film - it's been a long time since I've looked at negatives - centering the images will seem right to a viewer, whereas the rotation might seem wrong).

In terms of standing out, I'm not sure it will pop amidst a bulletin board full of postings. I see how you're using the red to make the slogan pop, which is good. But overall there's no big eye-catching chunk of color to pull the eye to the card in the first place. Figure that the general bulletin board posting is something someone printed at home, on white paper, probably in all or mostly black ink. You have color images, and a bit of color in your logo and slogan, but it's basically black on white. I'm having trouble channeling my inner graphic designer at the moment, so I can't recommend an alternative, just something to consider. (Though you'll want to stay with a color scheme and feel which is consistent with your website and other branding.)

Thanks to both of you for the feedback!! I haven't ordered the cards just yet since I wanted to get some feedback first. I have also sent it to people through email for feedback. Of course, the downside to that is that people I email know me and therefore are biased. They all seem to like it, but how many are just being polite?

Both of you seemed to agree on the words blending into the photo on the right being a slight distraction. That was one of the main things that bothered me. Unfortunately, I'm using vistaprint and their software doesn't let me change near as much as I would like. For some reason I can change the font, but not the text size. Very annoying. Also, the film strip was part of a template. I added everything else. But I can't move or resize the film strip. They really have tied my hands on quite a bit. I may shrink the photo on the right some so that the words don't cover it. I originally did not have the photo at all but then the page just seemed too bare.

Rob, thanks for the input on my website. I deffinately agree with you about the font's. I am actually waiting on my graphic designer to finish work on a new log. As soon as that is done I plan to go through my entire site and update all the pictures. for continuity. That should be fun :er:

What market segment do you hope to reach by sticking your post cards on bulletin boards?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back