Your Film Workflow

bruce282

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the early 80's I shot and developed a lot of Tri-X and E-6 slide film. I picked up a D90 for shooting local sports and added an F3 so I could also shoot some film.

I have both Lightroom3 and CS5 and am working out a digital work flow, but I was wondering how folks who shoot either film only or a lot of film handed the work flow.

I have a Penn Camera near me which will process either B&W or C41 for $3.99 a roll and do a high def scan to DVD for around $10. I've heard that the C41 type B&W film scans better than Tri-X, I'll have a few rolls of each developed and see.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bruce

I wouldn't say I do a LOT of film work these days, but I'm interested in the post and any forthcoming answers anyway.

I'm not sure I quite understand the question though. Once you have the scan on DVD, why wouldn't you just work it like you would any other digital photo file?

I've been scanning my negatives myself and then processing just like any other digital file - Bring it into Lightroom, adjust if needed, output to size I like or bring it into PS for additional work, again, if I think it's needed.

well, this is mine and has been this way for at least 50 years.

developed the film, make a contact sheet the old fashion way in the darkroom.

label the contact sheet and the printfile holding the negatives with the same id code.

review the negatives with a loupe, glance at the contact sheet for a second opinion.

go into the darkroom and make the print.

tone it , mount it and sell it

on occasion i have scanned a negative, usually 6x7 or 4x5 but that is not a common process for me.

as to scanning. some film types are better for scanning, think c-41 films both black and white and color.

if you plan on scanning, why not just have them process the color and give you the negatives and scan them yourself, especially if your just looking for a "contact sheet" to determine which negative you plan on bringing in to your editing program. Those 10 dollar pops for a dvd add up fast.

Sorry all, I went back and realized how poorly expressed my question was.

In today's digital age folks shot RAW and use PP to set the correct WB, sharpen etc. I'm wondering if folks do the same with their film.

My plan is to have Penn Camera develop and scan 2 rolls, one color, one C41 B&W. If everything works out, I most likely get a scanner then later on start developing my own film.

Bruce

I barely do any PP to my film shots -- mostly just leveling horizons when necessary and doing some minor color tweaking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back