Your help required!

I like Garbz idea!

I was thinking about a car parked in a living room, but you'd need to have a pretty clean gararge and move some furniture to pull it off, so guess its not such a practical idea after all.

Get a costume for someone willing to work with you, and put him in a mundane environment. Or give them a "prop". Nothing stranger than a giant carrot waiting for a bus at the bus stop, or a woman in a fancy Louis XIV boustiere and wig taking a stuffed alligator out for a "walk" on a leash. With a tiny umbrella.

I'd try something different:

For example, people gathered around a restaurant table... and everybody talking on the cellphone instead of with each other.

A homeless person drinking bling water (Evian, St. Pellegrino, you know)

Two beggars, one has a sign that reads "blind" the other one "deaf" the blind one is trying to have a conversation with the other one... or the "deaf" one is shouting at the "blind" one.

Right, here's a link to the site that hosts the contest, and the first 14 entries (as of today, 9 Feb 2008):

http://www.scheesseler-anzeiger.de/index.php?menu=12751&dataid=25&page=1&searchValue=

In reading all your suggestions, I am coming to the conclusion that the Angloamerican definition of the word "bizarre" seems to be somewhat different from our German one. I discussed your suggestions with my friends yesterday night and we came to the conclusion that we would place the adjective "grotesk" to all the scenarios you are giving me as "bizarre".

Though ... how similar are they?
And look at the entries.
They are very different and with SOME I really don't see ANYTHING neither "bizarre" nor (German) "bizarr", nor (German) "grotesk" nor "grotesque" in them (such as the Brandenburg Gate, in how far should that be "bizarre"?).

But I really like the Photoshop work, the little world in the hand ... I think with this entry, I no longer stand a chance AT ALL, no matter WHAT I should submit. Not one!

(The same person who submitted the hand this month won the January contest, too, she must be REALLY good - mostly so with Photoshop!)

But some of the entries also seem to suggest that many people understand distorted shapes or highly unusual SHAPES to be "bizarre" in German.

If you were to take photos for a contest whose theme is "Bizarre", what would you photograph?

an Otter riding a bike

You get me the otter with the skill? I provide the bike! With an otter I shall win! Cute animals ALWAYS win in that contest! :hugs:

How are those entries 'bizar'? Maybe #1 is bizar, as in 'surprising' but the others....:thumbdown:

And I don't really know if grotesk would be the same word; somehow I'm thinking 'ugly' and 'distorted' when I hear that word.

Garbz' and Iron Flatline's ideas are spot on (if you ask me). So if you think along those lines and incorporate a cute animal...winner! ;)

pascal

the guy who posted this looked like the coolest kid in his class when he was in highschool. :)

Most reactions

Back