Your Latest Pickup

gckless

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What was the last item you bought?

I just picked up a Nikon 70-300mm VR for $215. Looks like a good lens so far, so I'm pretty happy about that.

My latest items I bought in last month were Nikon D3300 and Softbox which I am yet to use.

Umbrella stand and a headache.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sigma 17-50mm OS

other than a $5 flash reflector, nothing lately
I figured I need to use my current stuff more

I just picked up the lens hood for the 70-300mm and also got Tiffen circular polarizers for that and one other lens. Decided to try out Tiffen, trying to save a couple dollars versus the standard of B&W.

Sigma 17-50mm OS

How do you like the lens? I have it, and I do love it. Basically the ideal range for things I shoot.

other than a $5 flash reflector, nothing lately
I figured I need to use my current stuff more

Same here.

I bought two small grip items in December, a used Manfrotto Magic Arm for $9, and an old, Made in Germany maked all-metal C-clamp type clamp with a small ball head and 1/4" x 20 N.C. threaded tripod screw on it. Ended up using the clamp on the very first assignment I shot! Got both at my favorite pawnshop. Best $14 I have spent in a good while.

Speaking of magic arms, clamps & grip gear, a while back I noticed some knock-off MIC "mini" magic arms with clamps, for $5.00 each, and free shipping. It seemed silly not to check it out, so I ordered one, and was VERY pleasantly surprised by what I received. While it's a LOT smaller (see images for sense of scale w/ standard-size clamp), the quality is surprisingly good. It's almost all metal, very strong, and when locked tight, it's TIGHT. Granted I wouldn't trust them to support a body and large lens, but they're ideal for mounting a speedlight, trigger, or similar item.

The clamps are only really large enough go around a lighting stand, but most of the time, that's enough. For $5.00 these seem an excellent bargain.

Attachments

• Magic1.JPG
    Magic1.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Magic2.JPG
    Magic2.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 116
My last purchase was a AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.8G.....

I picked up a sigma 17-70 and 70-300. Need to update the firmware in the 17-70 though.

Planning on ordering a new shoulder strap other miscellaneous stuff this week.

Speaking of magic arms, clamps & grip gear, a while back I noticed some knock-off MIC "mini" magic arms with clamps, for $5.00 each, and free shipping. It seemed silly not to check it out, so I ordered one, and was VERY pleasantly surprised by what I received. While it's a LOT smaller (see images for sense of scale w/ standard-size clamp), the quality is surprisingly good. It's almost all metal, very strong, and when locked tight, it's TIGHT. Granted I wouldn't trust them to support a body and large lens, but they're ideal for mounting a speedlight, trigger, or similar item.

The clamps are only really large enough go around a lighting stand, but most of the time, that's enough. For $5.00 these seem an excellent bargain.

A few years ago, former TPF member SW!TchFX (spelling?) turned me on to some $9.99 full-sized Made in China full-sized SuperClamp knock offs...I bought one...works JUST as well as the $39 Manfrotto ones I have! It's big and heavy. Thanks for posting about these smaller ones--I could really go for something that is smaller and lighter! And five bucks! Yikes! I had not seen these.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back