Your opinions - Canon EOS 500D vs Nikon D5000

Laur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my birthday is coming up and as my bf is horrible at picking gifts, this year i have asked for a camera!

Long story short, I have narrowed it down to 2 that im interested in...

Canon EOS 500D vs Nikon D5000.:D

I have researched them both to death, and am now hoping to hear some personal experiences to help me make up my mind!.. Both to me seem to have equal positive and negatives!

It will be used only for a new hobby... nothing "pro".. but i would like to have something of good quality. I will mainly be using this for outdoors shots, nature walks, the occasional sporting event (soccer and motorbike riding) and few indoor/birthday shots with the family.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Both. Simultaneously.

Nikon's nice. Canon's nice. I'd choose based on the cooler neckstraps that Nikon offers.

Your bf's gonna buy you a $700 camera? SUCKAAAAA

haha... Sorry misstwinklytoes..!!! Im guessing you have this question/debate ALL the time.. EEK!

& Paul.... we have been together 5 years going on 6... haha... it sounds more mature if i put "partner"...... but last time i did that i had an awkward moment with a work friend about if my partner was a male or female. hahaha.

If you're really asking seriously, you need to get your hands on both of them. You might be able to do just that at a camera store, or even a BestBuy or something..

They're closely matched spec-wise, time to see what you're more comfortable with. They both have different scroll wheel placements and buttons for changing settings - see what feels better for you.

:lmao:

See the smiley. It was a joke. I guess the OP got it and that's what matters.

haha... Sorry misstwinklytoes..!!! Im guessing you have this question/debate ALL the time.. EEK!

I have researched them both to death,
Then you should be done.

and am now hoping to hear some personal experiences to help me make up my mind!..
This is a good way to negate all the research you did above. Anecdotal evidence is often very unreliable, and the sample of personal opinions you gleen here will be so small as to be virtually useless.

Both to me seem to have equal positive and negatives!
Yes, they do. Hence your list of requirements then becomes the deciding factor. If you do not have a list of requirements, a coin flip would be effective.

Then you should be done.

and am now hoping to hear some personal experiences to help me make up my mind!..
This is a good way to negate all the research you did above. Anecdotal evidence is often very unreliable, and the sample of personal opinions you gleen here will be so small as to be virtually useless.

Yes, they do. Hence your list of requirements then becomes the deciding factor. If you do not have a list of requirements, a coin flip would be effective.

I dunno' about allowing the coin flip to be the decision-making method KmH...those black-and-yellow Nikon straps are awfully pretty compared to those black and red Canon straps...and I mean, c'mon, isn't the strap what it's all about. I mean, really???

Then you should be done.

I dunno' about allowing the coin flip to be the decision-making method KmH...those black-and-yellow Nikon straps are awfully pretty compared to those black and red Canon straps...and I mean, c'mon, isn't the strap what it's all about. I mean, really???

Oh yeah? Well my AFTERMARKET STRAP will show your Nikon and Canon straps ANY DAY. So there! :sillysmi:

About straps, I used to have a rebel XTi that came with their older black and white strap. It didn't have the name of the camera on it, just said "Canon EOS Digital"
Then a few years later, I picked up 500D and found out that it had a different strap. I believe it's the ones Canon has now, red stripes. It looked so terrible that I decided to sell my XTi with a new strap and leave the old strap on my 500D. The guy I sold it to, didn't seem to care.
Red and yellow doesn't look so great with black camera body. White does.
Oh and by the way, those yellow Nikon straps are the worst. I am surprised they haven't made them baby pink or something.

As for 5000 vs 500D, just get a hold of both in a store and see which one suits you better in handling. The button layout, etc.

To think I made MY decision based on the lens cap style. :x :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back