Your opinions on these 2 cameras...

aparis99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK, so my old cam broke and im about ready for a new one... i DO know some things i want on this one so if u all could give me some info or opinions that'd be great...

I want somethin:

- 5.0mp or more (which is pretty much a given)
- manual settings, shutter, iso, apeture(sp?) etc
- PREFERABLY Lithium battery, not AA's
- 10x or 12x optical zoom

What i've come up with are the Kodak Z612 and the Canon S2 or S3 IS, the kodak seems good with the battery, but the canon uses stupid AA's but i think has better manual settings...

I wanna keep it under 300 so if u pro's can tell me which will ultimately look better and the settings more customizable, we'll go from there...

the Kodak has an aperture range of (F2.8 - F4.8) and the S2 has a range of (F2.7 - F3.5 / F8)... what exactly is that sayin and is that somethin i'd want?

I wanna take some close-ups as well as sunsets and landscapes... i'm leanin toward the kodak due to bigger screen, internal mem. and battery

Given what you say, I would lean toward the Canon, and here is why.

Stupid AA's - You can get them everywhere, if you run our of power no big beal, pop in some fresh ones and off you go.

Internal Memory - who cares which has a bigger internal memory, you will probably by a memry card anyway.

Canon - Makes grat cameras, I would pick a Canon over a kodak anyday and I am a Nikon guy.

You said you want to do close-ups? I'm not sure, but I think the Canon has some sort of "super-macro" that allows to focus extremely close up.

ok, i was kinda leanin toward the canon now anyway... but, can someone just explain the differences in the manual settings? aperture at least...?

The Canon S3 runs on AA batteries! There is nothing wrong with AA batteries as long as you buy rechargables.

go for the canon. They put better glass in their point and shoots then kodak and they make better imaging chips, plus you get IS.

I agree on the Canon as well. You can get rechargeable AA's everywhere now. They are actually the better choice over the battery packs! Say your battery pack runs out, and even a spare you have runs out. Your done for the day or at least for a couple hours if you have a place to charge them! With AA's, if the rechargeables die. You can just go to the store and buy another set regular alkalines and keep shooting.

Lots of places are selling a charger and 4 AA's locally for $20! For the cost of one branded spare battery you can get 2 chargers and 8AA's!! If you buy on ebay and get some decent no name AA's you can get about 16 batteries for the price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back