Your own favourite photograph of all time.

Fantastic choice sabbath I have that photograph here in a Time Life book on The Art of Photography. My favourite picture comes from a different TimeLife book. I'll see if I can find it and post it later.

Of interest to photographers on the 9/11 photo is the entire sequence he shot... you can see the "near misses" that he had, and you can see clearly how he shot it... and the difference between an "OK" photo and one of the greatest shots ever captured.

23 photos in the 9/11 flag raising sequence <-clicky

My favorite is a picture of my grandparents walking down the street of Atlanta in the early 40s. He was a tall young man in uniform and she looked like a petite movie star in a long coat and hat. Back then there were street photographers that took your picture and then offered to sell it to you (kind of like the amusement park photogs but much less annoying and much better quality). It just captured everything I ever admired in either of them...their strength, their love for each other, as well as a piece of history.

I can't post it because I don't have a copy.

I've always admires National Geographic's photos. We had box after box of them when I was a kid. Unfortunately they were ruined by water and mildew damage as were some of my most treasured antiques.

I saw this (Elliot Erwitt, 1974) just a few days ago in a small gallery in Santa Fe-- and fell in love with it, just for the sheer uniqueness.
But really, what remains my all-time favorite photograph is probably this by Henri-Cartier-Bresson.

Dammit I can't find it online. Anyway it was a TimeLife image by Co Rentmeester "Snow Monkeys in a Hot Spring 1969. The problem is it was a different image from the same series. If you search it online you'll find one of the images but the other is a picture of 5 snow monkeys actually sitting in the spring staring at the camera with their heads covered in snow and surrounded by steam.

For those who have it it is featured on page 32 of the Life library of photography, "Photographing Nature", by Time Life passed in 1981.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back