Your Questions Answered

aprilraven said:
its a true dilemma... do you do something to please yourself, to the fullest..
or do you choose to do the other thing, that pleases everyone, but not yourself ?
That all depends. My pecking order is my children, my friends, me where a decision will affect others. When the decision only affects me then I just please myself.
I do have my random moments, though, as I hate to be too predictable.
aprilraven said:
totally serious here.... should someone choose selfishness, or martyrdom?
how do you know which to choose?
Martyrdom is just another form of selfishness. The wise person finds the middle way.

photo gal said:
I make it a policy to never say never. Is that a good policy?
It's not really true, though, is it? You've just said 'never' twice.
However...
Life is long and complex and one never knows what lurks around the next corner.
When I was 19 I said I would never become a father yet here I am.
Experience tells me that it is best not to make rash promises or to dismiss things out of hand, but to just keep silent (it works better if you try to look deep and mysterious when you do it - well it works for me).
Ergo: never say never.

Avis, I suggest YOU create your own "Answer-all-your-questions-thread" then, just so we see if YOU can fascinate us more!?!?!?

LaFoto said:
Avis, I suggest YOU create your own "Answer-all-your-questions-thread" then, just so we see if YOU can fascinate us more!?!?!?
I don't think the world is quite ready for that.

Uh-oh. You sure?
Well, he was the only one online at the time, so I thought... but I better not think when it comes to Avis, right? ;)

Hertz van Rental said:
That all depends. My pecking order is my children, my friends, me where a decision will affect others. When the decision only affects me then I just please myself.
I do have my random moments, though, as I hate to be too predictable.

Martyrdom is just another form of selfishness. The wise person finds the middle way.

ok, oh great one, let me crawl up to your pinnacle and request another answer...along this same vein....

what if there is no middle way..... what if its a black and white decision...
and no grey...

do unto your self or unto others...? do you serve others, or serve yourself?

( dont you wish i would go out into the highway and play with the diesels??)

aprilraven said:
( dont you wish i would go out into the highway and play with the diesels??)
:shock: Diesels? As in dyke?

aprilraven said:
what if there is no middle way..... what if its a black and white decision...
and no grey...

do unto your self or unto others...? do you serve others, or serve yourself?
Then I would make a middle way.

To be totally self-serving is to be totally selfish and have absolutely no consideration for others.
'People don't matter, only I matter'. I find that view of life abhorrent.

To do nothing but serve others is to be nothing more than a doormat.
You think so little of yourself that you think you don't matter is a waste of a life.

There are times when you have to be selfish, and there are times when it is a pleasure to serve. But to do one or the other exclusively? That has a hint of mental illness to it.
The secret to life is to strike a proper balance, to know when to be selfish and to know when to be selfless. And the rest of the time you walk the middle way.

But if you stuck a gun to my head and said 'choose' then I would choose serving others. At least you can get pleasure and satisfaction from doing it. Being selfish is a sterile pleasure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back