Your recommendation on studying photography online??

starcluster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I mean studying Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) Degree in Photography..

I know that I dont need a degree in photography if what i want is to be a pro...
but i am living in a world where a certen type of study (degree) is important for people to understand that am not joking when i say that i (like photography ) and i want more of it....

why taking a (BFA) while i can try taking simple coures?
- Its because a BFA will be more challenging and formal to keep me Occupied with photography for four years...

- and i can easily afterward start my business in photography..

- And To give me more confident.

I work as a teacher in a totally different world than photography. and my work takes most of my time.
you can say by studying the BFA will give my life the balance between my passion for photography and my jop....

So do you think it would be a good a idea to try it? Or will it be a waste of money and time? And why?
Have any one studied online before?
would YOU try it your self??

You've already got my reply in the canon group, but I'll post it here as well to air my thoughts on this site in addition.

My view is that online studies are a great way to study for something that is strongly based in theoretical or book work. If you're studying theories of composition (as an example) that can easily be done remotely since the bulk of the work is reading and comprehension with guidance and tests on understanding - which can be done remotely.

Photography, as a more practical application however is a totally different kettle of fish. If you're wanting to learn practical hands on side to things then you want your teacher there with you. Able to see the conditions as you are in them, able to watch how you setup and take shots and able to provide input on corrects or creative ideas or demonstrate practical methods or skills.
This lets them spot when you're making mistakes as well as provide correction in the field at the time of shooting; not hours or even days later whilst getting only a tiny bit of the story from you in words.

If you want to learn the hands-on I'd say online courses are not the most suitable and that your money could be better invested in a more local tuition system.
Of you're learning is just theory and reading/book work then go for it - it will really depend on what you wan and on what the course offers you

Thanks Overread For your reply, I will also check the canon Group ;)

you defiantly have a point here and i also agree with you. in fact this is what scares me the most. But you can say am a little bit relived when i saw their site and the way they approach their students ( Academy of Art University: Online Art Classes, Online Art Education, College Course Online, Online Art Class)
The instructors have many ways to show his\her point (as they mentioned that in the site), I also have to participate in the class discussions and assignments....
and about the ability to correct my work on the site. I guess it will work some how after i upload the images for the critic... ( they have a impressive critic system though)

you defiantly have a point here and i also agree with you. in fact this is what scares me the most. But you can say am a little bit relived when i saw their site and the way they approach their students ( Academy of Art University: Online Art Classes, Online Art Education, College Course Online, Online Art Class)
The instructors have many ways to show his\her point (as they mentioned that in the site), I also have to participate in the class discussions and assignments....
and about the ability to correct my work on the site. I guess it will work some how after i upload the images for the critic... ( they have a impressive critic system though)

They want your money - Overread is right.

They want your money - Overread is right.

(your words like a Boom to me looool XD) ok! but in the same time i can say every body wants the money. and what makes the deference is that; does it worth it or not?
here in my country I cant take a solid education in photography. and its impossible (even in my dreams ) to study up broad.....

half the fun is chilling out with other students and talking crap.

Online studying is just the same as formal studies. The only difference between the two is the medium. The advantage on online studying is that you can save money for you don't have to ride or commute just to attend the class. You could stay in your house and open your PC. This is helpful, especially to those who have a job already and want to learn other things. In general, it saves time, money and effort.:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back