Your thoughts: Canon 100m 2.8 macro.

matt-l

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello. Im trying to locally sell some things to fund this lens and im wondering your thoughts on it. I chose this over the sigma 105 due the internal focus, and USM.

I've only read good about it, just wondering what you guys think.

I like it, occasionally also use it for portrait work. I chose it for macro at a time because the 100mm length gave me a greater distance to my subjects, reducing the chance of throwing a shadow of my own. Well built, nicely sharp. Good lens. I don't use it much though.

so far the only bad things I have heard of for this lens are that you have to get its lens hood separatly from the lens - canon annoyingly don't include it. Though this does let you get a cheaper 3rd party hood if you choose to - either way get a hood.

Also its my experiences that if your working on a tripod then its better to use a lenses collar rather than to mount the tripod using the camera mount. Its not going to cause any damage to the kit using the camera mount, but it means that all the weight is concentrated at the front of the assmebly and at macro distances this can cause stable tripod heads to start dipping (its very tiny so for normal use you neve notice it, but macro shows these things up). So I consider a collar for tripod work another important component - and again canon make you get it separatly - and for this component I would stick with official canon.

Sorry that I just made it cost more :( but the collar is not as important - just make sure you have a hood :)

Sorry that I just made it cost more :( but the collar is not as important - just make sure you have a hood :)

Heard about the hood. Not about the collar, will have to look into that.

I've already got the money for the lens, just trying to save my bank account a little bit.

I've been playing around with one and with the 2.8 it's hand holdable, which is perfect for me.

yep its definatly hand holdable (I belive its DoeNoe's weapon of choice - and he manages to hold his in one hand and a flash in the other at the moment!). So you don't have to use a tripod at all - which is why the collar is not as important.

Done some quick review reading on the ET-67 hood. Its not useable for 1:1 with this lens, the length is longer then the focusing distance! A hood is needed, but a third party is needed for my uses.

Its a very sharp lens. I use it for macro, both tripod and handheld. I also use it for portraiture and general purpose. Again, its an extremely sharp lens with excellent color/contrast. I have the hood and also the MT-24ex twin flash that mounts on the front.

You will not regret getting this lens.

The only downside I have with this lens is the slightly slow autofocus.

Derrick

I bought this lense used and am really happy with it! It came with the hood, and you are right that you can not do 1:1 with the Canon hood.

The only thing I don't like with it is the slow auto focus for portature in lower light. I find it misses the focus point and I have to nudge it manually a bit. Thank goodness for USM.

I haven't tried the auto focus for macro, but assume it would be slow for that as well.

Cheers

250 Gimp...

A lot of lenses are slow in low light. I've heard of the slow AF but from playing with the lens a bit, it seemed rather fast for me. Even in a place with half low light.

So far, no interest in my stuff, but i think i'll trade the 2 lenses in for some money off this lens next week.

thanks for the replies!

It's probably faster focusing than the lenses in your profile, but it's definitely a slower focusing lens. I've only ever used it in high-light situations and I found it sluggish at best. I've been spoiled by the 50mm f/1.4 though, which is scary fast at how fast it focuses.

Slower AF is a feature of pretty much every macro lens on the market so I would not let it worry you in the slightest :)

Great!, a lot of people have stacked tubes. Looking at your work, im picking this lens up later this week or the next.

Thanks for all you help everyone!!

Most reactions

Back