Your Thoughts

Garcia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I am looking for a good camera to start off with, and bring it to vacation (Europe) and expect some beautiful photographs.

Here is a camera I have in mind:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ8K-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B000MWVMRG/ref=dp_return_1/002-0755926-8874416?ie=UTF8&n=502394&s=photo[/ame]

If you guys have any suggestions on cameras that are better for cheaper or a little bit of more money, please let me know.

My budget is really to keep it under $300 but if there is something better for a little more expensive that is really suggested, and easily upgradeable in the future.

Thanks!

Take a look at the G series from Canon. If this is just a vacation camera, should suffice though.

I want something that I could begin my interest in photography as well.

Canon S5 IS? Maybe a Rebel XT, but that may be out of your price range.

XT, or used Digital Rebel would be the low end of the dSLR. You could probably get any P&S for around $300-350.

Hi Garcia, welcome to the board.

The Panasonic is not my favorite point and shoot because I don't like its image stabilization. Instead of using an active image stabilizer, like Canon does, the one on the panasonic just bumps up the shutter speed and the ISO.

The problem with that is that this particular camera has really nasty noise problems at high ISO (all small chip cameras are prone to this... generally speaking, the bigger the physical size of the chip, the better the signal-to-noise ratio is).

Canon (and several other manufacturers) use image stabilization that either moves elements in the lens, or the sensor... both of which are vastly superior.

If I were buying one of these cameras, this is what I would get: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EMWBV0/ref=pd_cp_p_2/104-4432733-3526350?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=1SQ10B8QB4ZTVW58WY8W&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=250314001&pf_rd_i=B000MWVMRG"]Canon Powershot S3 IS[/ame]. I would choose it over the S5 only because it is WAY cheaper than the S5.

The S3 for under $300 is a GREAT deal.

Thanks!

I checked out the Canon Powershot S3 and saw the photos that users submitted and didn't find them as good as the camera I provided.

Would this camera provide almost crystal clear photos?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back