Zack Arias, editing rig, thoughts?

Back to Zack's suggestion. I read his article. He's simply suggesting that you buy a Mac. Because it works reliably. The software and the hardware is pretty well-integrated, since there are so FEW hardware configurations; there is ONE Apple company making a handful of computers; in the Windoze world there are a zillion PC's, all made by any one of a thousand companies/shops/stores worldwide, all of which use operating systems written "elsewhere", aiming for good performance on...God only knows what hardware. If you feel your computer is hurting efficiency, then switch to a "REAL" monitor, not one on a laptop, and get say, the new iMac 27". Get that out of the way...get that "computer duck" into the row!!!! You will have a lot more enjoyable time once you have a solid workstation you can rely upon. Forget the lens side for a while.

Well, figured I'd close the loop on this one...

Earlier today, I purchased a 27" iMac i7 with a SSD and 2TB HDD. I also got 4 sticks of 8GB RAM from Amazon to max it out at 32GB. That should take care of the computer part of the equation for at least a couple of years.

Thanks, FM. Thanks for all the input, people.

Back to Zack's suggestion. I read his article. He's simply suggesting that you buy a Mac. Because it works reliably. The software and the hardware is pretty well-integrated, since there are so FEW hardware configurations; there is ONE Apple company making a handful of computers; in the Windoze world there are a zillion PC's, all made by any one of a thousand companies/shops/stores worldwide, all of which use operating systems written "elsewhere", aiming for good performance on...God only knows what hardware. If you feel your computer is hurting efficiency, then switch to a "REAL" monitor, not one on a laptop, and get say, the new iMac 27". Get that out of the way...get that "computer duck" into the row!!!! You will have a lot more enjoyable time once you have a solid workstation you can rely upon. Forget the lens side for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the iMac on Monday. Two points of interest:

1. It's impossible to overstate the improvement of having a SSD for a boot drive. Even opening Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Lightroom all at the same time, the total load time is about 10 seconds. Ridiculous.

2. Apple may tell the world that the iMac can only accept 16GB of RAM, but that's false. I installed 32GB of RAM, ran all the appropriate tests and I can confirm that 32GB works just fine in the 27" i7 model.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

apple for some reason will do this, say that less memory can be installed than it actually can. I don't know if there are stability issues, but I doubt it. More likely it's to market the Mac Pro more effectively to people who don't know what Xeon means.

Well it took me a couple of days to get everything transferred over to the new box. Here's a shot of my new workstation:

$image-2490327335.jpg

The next step is to replace the small monitor with something I can trust is color correct, most likely the NEC PA271 or something similar. Right now it's only used for file management in Lightroom.

Thanks again for all the input, guys!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back