voodoocat

))<>((
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone been there? Looking for suggestions for a 3 night trip there at the end of April.

I've been there twice. I want to live there, like a wild jungle girl, at one with the animals and drinking from the Virgin River.

Because you plan on being there the end of April, and I can't go, I am nauseated with envy.

So no, I will tell you nothing. :twisted:

I just sent you an email asking whether you heard of the place and now you're withholding information :p you're an evil evil girl :twisted:

Honey, how many times have you heard me slobber over Zion??? It's THE most spectacular place on the planet. The Narrows! The gentle river trail! The rock formations! The dizzying hikes where the only thing between you and certain death are the chains pounded into the side of the rock! :cheer:

Take lots of film.

You can stay just outside the park in the tiny little town of Springdale. Several B&Bs, lots of little motels and the like. BUT - for the ultimate experience, get online and rent a cabin inside the park. It lets you know why it's good to be alive.

Take lots of film.

And think: Terri was here before me. bwahahaha!!!

See, now that wasn't so hard. I want to know the best areas for photos. That's the whole point of this forum!

We're actually going to be in an RV. All I've found so far are a couple of camgrounds outside the park. I'm really not wanting to stay at one of those KOA type campgrounds so if you know of anything else I would love to hear it.

An RV...? You're one of THEM! :twisted:

hmmm, I have seen that RV/camping place, right on the main drag through Springdale that takes you straight in to the park. You're out in the middle of nowhere, I mean NOWHERE, so there just aren't a whole lot of choices.

I can be VERY precise with photos, bay-bay!! What I should do is scan some of my husband's stuff to whet your appetite. A couple of his photos will make you sick, but it will also make you crazed to get there. I'll pull out the park maps I've saved (don't snicker, I'll bet you end up doing it too) and I'll tell you the names of trails we hiked and all that, where these photos were taken.

It will still be chilly in the river in April.....well, maybe. I've hiked down the Narrows in July and also in October.... July was better. :wink: If you want to do this, be smart and pick up an inexpensive pair of wet socks, and wear them with Tevas or some sports sandal. They are invaluable for navigating the Narrows. You'll understand once you get there, especially if the water is a little high this spring. [GOD I really hate you!! Okay. I feel better.]

Just prepare yourself for extremes of cold/heat, and you can thank me later. :D

Since it's you, Goddess, all is forgiven... :wink: I hope you love the place as much as I do!!

Voo baby: I have a few photos for you, but as you know I have trouble with this site from home (I think I can access this forum only because it's new since Chase changed servers), so look for them tomorrow! :D

Wow, the google ads are smart. There was an ad for Zion National Park when I checked this thread :D

Okay.....here ya go sweetie. These images were all taken by my husband with his Rollei TLR and a now discontinued Fuji 50 ISO color print film. I know the shadows seem awfully blue, but it really can look like that out there.

No shots of the actual pools, cause we were smitten with the actual hiking trail, but here are a couple of what is called the Emerald Pools Trail inside Zion National Park. That's the Virgin River snaking through there. These were taken on our trip in October, hence the leaves.

339%3C94%3B523232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D5%3A6%3D42%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B885426%3Bot1lsi

339%3C94%3B523232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D5%3A6%3D42%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B88542%3A5ot1lsi

This is way down the Virgin River, in that part of the river called "The Narrows". The tiny humanoid is me.

339%3C94%3B523232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D5%3A6%3D42%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B88556%3C3ot1lsi

This last image is my fave of the group, but it didn't scan overly well due to its size, and I had to crop it strangely, sorry. Voo, this view of the Virgin River is just outside the Zion park entrance. The Rollei was perched on the bridge wall at sunset. If you turn around you're heading straight back into the park. Go west, and you're coming up to that RV park you'll probably end up staying at....it's really not as tortuous as it seems, now is it?

339%3C94%3B523232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D5%3A6%3D42%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B88556%3C%3Bot1lsi

Wow! Those are beautiful. We actually are not staying at the RV park. We tried to rent a cabin in the park but they were sold out :( Plus they only sleep 4...

So we decided to rent a suite at the Pioneer lodge near the entrance of the park.

Stop bragging, damn you. :wink:

Will you try to get a little ways down the Narrows??? You'll regret it if you don't.

terri said:
Stop bragging, damn you. :wink:

Will you try to get a little ways down the Narrows??? You'll regret it if you don't.
If our party is willing I would love to go in at least a little ways. It's spring so the water levels might be kind of high. Especially with all the photo equipment.

Well, of course you must obey those signs - they're no joke. :shock: It doesn't take too long to get the feel of it. That picture of me up there was taken in the month of June, where we could easily get in and out in some areas -but in other areas, we had the wetsack with all our gear. I thought the hubby was being foolish to risk it, but we did snag a rather awesome picture. :D Camera was on the tripod and everything.

Zion is beautiful, but in some rugged country, so I understand if you're only able to dip your toes and take it easy on the hikes. You'll be smitten either way, I'm thinking. :wink:

Most reactions

Back