ksmattfish

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still
Reaction score
Website
www.henrypeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
:shaking:

I just got back from teaching my photo classes. In the advanced class this was the day we were going to go over zone system basics. I refreshed myself earlier with reading Henry Horenstein, Ansel Adams, and my own notes. I even worked up some outlines to keep me on track. But alas I think I even managed to confuse myself!! It's weird how I can understand it and put it to use myself, but seemed completely unable to explain it out loud, at least in a manner that made any sense to my students. And the more questions they asked, the more off track I got. I'm going to try and put the lecture down on paper in a more comprehendable manner; hopefully they will get more from that. Right now I need a beer, 'cause I gots the ZONE SYSTEM MADNESS!!! :greendev:

:LOL: My darkroom teacher was from Israel and although he was obviously extremely well versed, he would trip himself up sometimes. I don't think I ever laughed so hard as the night when he was trying to pound home the point of "expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights". He drew pictures and was talking and gesturing - then suddenly he was convinced it was the other way around! :scratch: He stared at his own diagrams and then excused himself to go ask someone else! I really felt for the poor guy.

Of course, HE was trying to overcome a language barrier. Matt, you just babbled yourself into a corner. :twisted:

Next class will be better... :cheers: that is, if you haven't scared all your students away. :p

terri said:
then suddenly he was convinced it was the other way around!

That's how I felt a time or two. I guess my problem is that I wanted to just touch upon the basics, but once you start wading into the subject matter, it's hard to stay in the shallows.

ksmattfish said:
terri said:
then suddenly he was convinced it was the other way around!

That's how I felt a time or two. I guess my problem is that I wanted to just touch upon the basics, but once you start wading into the subject matter, it's hard to stay in the shallows.

Extremely hard. I remember my instructor not touching it until Photo 102, and he was making us shoot nothing but color slides. He only dealt with zones III-VII, and gave us associated color descriptions of each, and an assignment to go shoot a roll where a couple of frames touched on each zone. It was rudimentary, but he got his point across and was spared too many pesky questions. :wink:

I still have those handouts, too! :LOL:

Most reactions

Back