Zoo pics today - C & C

guitar guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a few pics today and here are the ones I'm happiest with.

1#, 2#, #3 are with my 55-200mm zoom, and 4# is with my Sigma 10-20mm. First time outside with it today, so of course the first thing I do is lay down in the snow and point it up in the sky!

20110127_0176_edited-1.jpg

20110127_0172_edited-1.jpg

20110127_0155_edited-2.jpg

20110127_0151_edited-1.jpg

They all look underexposed. This is probably due to the snow "tricking" your cameras light meter. The shots themselves aren't bad, just need the right exposure.

I noticed on #4 the tops of the trees got out of focus. I was in Aperture mode (F22) and I just sort of fired away. Well I held the shutter halfway down first, but didn't really focus on anything in particular. Hiw can this be improved to get the entire thing in focus?

They all look underexposed. This is probably due to the snow "tricking" your cameras light meter. The shots themselves aren't bad, just need the right exposure.
Yeah, I gotta get acquainted with the exposure compensation

I noticed on #4 the tops of the trees got out of focus. I was in Aperture mode (F22) and I just sort of fired away. Well I held the shutter halfway down first, but didn't really focus on anything in particular. Hiw can this be improved to get the entire thing in focus?

Yeah, I gotta get acquainted with the exposure compensation

F22 isn't likely the sharpest stop for your lens. The sweet spot is generally closer to 11. Distortion of edges will occur when the aperture gets really small. To get everything in focus, try using the hyper focal distance. If you have a mobile device like an iPhone of iPod touch, there are free apps that calculate the hyper focal distance for you. For example, if you were at 20mm at f22, focusing .6 meters away, would bring everything into focus. At f11 focusing just beyond 1 meter would provide decent focus. I estimated that the trees are about 10 m tall.

I haven't gotten the hang of my Aperture at all.. grrr.. I love your tree photo though!

#3 is sweet haha, thats a great shot
-Nick

The shots of birds are really lovely one.
But i liked the 4th one which i feel is very unique tall tees and such
a nice light effect 4th shot is best.....

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back