Zoom Lens for beginner

Rubenfppinto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello
Hope I opened the topic in the right place.

I am looking for a good cheap zoom lens for my nikon D3100.
I saw two at amazon and I would like to know which one you recommend or if you recommend a different one.

The lenses are these ones.
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens:
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

or Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens
Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

What I intend with this lens is starting in sports photography and wildlife mostly. I also want to be able to photograph things that I am not able to get close to, like birds, fox or distante objects.

DanielLewis76

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The 55-300 will probably be more suitable for wildlife etc at the 200 doesn't start getting close to the action unless you are within about 20-30m from the action (closer if possible). I only know this as I have a 55-200 that I bought to take photos of my daughter rowing and standing on the bank from about 30m away the boat fills the whole frame. Therefore if you want a bird full frame you will need to be much closer!

That said its a good lens for what it does. I have just replaced mine with the 18-200 so i have spare one about 2 months old going for cheap :)

yioties

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think a 70-300 vr would be a better fit for sports and wildlife. Refurbished is around $350

OP
R

Rubenfppinto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The 55-300 will probably be more suitable for wildlife etc at the 200 doesn't start getting close to the action unless you are within about 20-30m from the action (closer if possible). I only know this as I have a 55-200 that I bought to take photos of my daughter rowing and standing on the bank from about 30m away the boat fills the whole frame. Therefore if you want a bird full frame you will need to be much closer!

That said its a good lens for what it does. I have just replaced mine with the 18-200 so i have spare one about 2 months old going for cheap :)

Thank you for your answer.

As I don't have much money to spend, I would like to buy a lens that could get a good zoom photographs, so I could get into sports photography and learn more about (one day if it becomes professional as I want, I could upgrade it). Apart from the sports, I would like to have a lens that allows me to photograph bird on threes or on electricity wires or that allows me to photograph animals that I can get close enough to get a good close picture. That kind of stuff if you know what I mean.

I thought the 55-300 would be nice for that purpose

alv

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
i have the 55-300 lens, it is able to take good shots ,ihave a little trouble at the far end 300mm, im happy with it go shoot have fun al

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics