Zoom lens for D5100

I already ordered my prime lens - 50mm 1.8g. I also see that the older version is 50,, 1.8D. Is there a big difference picture quality wise between the D and G?

PapaMatt said:
\

No matter what your choice is I think you still need something wider than 50mm what about the 18-200 VR?

But the OP already has the 18-55 lens so that focal length is already covered.[/QUOTE

Oh I missed that part I guess, Than yes go with the 70-300

BTW...what do you mainly use your 18-55 for? I have not been able to find many situations where it is must have lens.

Yeah I am definitely leaning more towards the 70-300. I don't think I will get the distance needed with the 18-200 (especially for my Alaska trip). I am going to see if I can find a refurbished or a used one. All this information is a bit overwhelming since I am just starting out...so I'm sorry if some of my questions or response sound novice.

Not to mention that the 18-55 and 70-300 VR are completely and utterly optically superior to the 18-200 VR. I still stand by it, the 18-55 VR is the most underrated lens Nikon has ever made. The 18-55 VR also has close focus abilities aswell which is great if you don't want to stump up for a macro lens.

BTW...what do you mainly use your 18-55 for? I have not been able to find many situations where it is must have lens.

The 18-55 is a great walkaround lens, it is also a great landscape lens which gives you a WIDE to NORMAL perspective (the one you see with your eye) with landscape photos. I use my Sigma 10-20 for my real wide stuff. Again, it close focuses aswell which is very useful for flower shots.

ok one last question. How do you all feel about purchasing refurbished lenses?

chasmasb said:
I already ordered my prime lens - 50mm 1.8g. I also see that the older version is 50,, 1.8D. Is there a big difference picture quality wise between the D and G?

The biggest difference between the D and G lens for you is that the D lens will not autofocus with the d5100 but the G will.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back