Zoom Lense for Sony a6000

annlee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I am new in the forum and it is my first topic.
I have bought a Sony a6000 last year and during this time I have been taking photos with kit lense. Recently I have been thinking that I would like to "catch" some details (for example in people and airplanes) but with the lense sometimes I can't do it. I don't know if it is the lack of knowlege, I am a beginner in photography.

What I thought were a lense 18-xxx, something fickle and with the distance considerable.

Do you consider a good idea to buy a lense of this type? If yes, I wouldn't like to pay more than 700 Eur.

Just to clarify, you mean that you have the 16-50 kit lens?

And when you say that you want to catch detail in "people and airplanes," those are usually two very different things. A person standing next to you is much closer than a plane in the sky.

You have a few options in your budget. The first is to add the kit zoom, which is the 55-210. I have this lens, and it works fine. It doesn't have outstanding sharpness, but it's a little better than the kit lens, just at a longer focal length.

If you're looking for an all-in-one lens, you should look at the 18-105. This lens is considered the best bang-for-your buck zoom in the Sony line-up. It doesn't go out nearly as far as the 55-210, but it gets you much farther than the kit lens, and you can crop down the rest of the way. It just depends on whether it's more important to be able to zoom in further or to have only one lens on the camera.

The 70-200 f4 or the 70-300 lenses are both optically excellent with fast autofocusing abilities, but are probably out of your budget, unless you can find them used.

There are also two versions of the 18-200 lens. I can't really recommend either one, since from what I've seen, both are weaker than the kit lens. But if you absolutely need that entire focal range in one lens, that's the option to go with.

Post some sample images.

More information below in blue

Many thanks

Just to clarify, you mean that you have the 16-50 kit lens?

Yes, I have the 16-50 kit lens.

And when you say that you want to catch detail in "people and airplanes," those are usually two very different things. A person standing next to you is much closer than a plane in the sky.

I don't like to take photos to person very near (person that I don't know). I feel that I am invading the personal field of the person. I prefer, in the distance and when people don't expect, to take photos. It is more spontaneous. About airplanes, it was only a example (bad, in this case because recently I haven't taken photos to the airplanes).

You have a few options in your budget. The first is to add the kit zoom, which is the 55-210. I have this lens, and it works fine. It doesn't have outstanding sharpness, but it's a little better than the kit lens, just at a longer focal length.

I would like a kit zoom that it can begins in 16 or 18, like the kit lens. I don't pretend every time to change the lense because of the distance.

If you're looking for an all-in-one lens, you should look at the 18-105. This lens is considered the best bang-for-your buck zoom in the Sony line-up. It doesn't go out nearly as far as the 55-210, but it gets you much farther than the kit lens, and you can crop down the rest of the way. It just depends on whether it's more important to be able to zoom in further or to have only one lens on the camera.

Do you consider 105 a short distance? 105 in metre which represents?

The 70-200 f4 or the 70-300 lenses are both optically excellent with fast autofocusing abilities, but are probably out of your budget, unless you can find them used.

There are also two versions of the 18-200 lens. I can't really recommend either one, since from what I've seen, both are weaker than the kit lens. But if you absolutely need that entire focal range in one lens, that's the option to go with.

What a pity :(

I prefer a lense with quality.

Thank you one more time.

Post some sample images.
Here some photos that I took.
2017-02-11_07-41-46.jpg
2017-02-11_07-41-38.jpg
2017-02-11_07-41-35.jpg
2017-02-11_07-41-26.jpg
2017-02-11_07-41-18.jpg
2017-02-11_07-41-12.jpg

I see a lot of exposure issue more than anything. Like the sunflower, flag and the statue. Both are very underexposed subjects caused by the bright sky 'fooling' the meter.

Thank you. Always learning :)

Okay, the 18-105 is going to be your best option, then. Sony also has the 16-70 f4, but while it's a good lens, it's more expensive and has less range than the 18-105.

105 is fairly long, but airplanes are probably out of the question. I know I wasn't able to get good shots of the moon, while I do okay with the 55-210 and moon shots. For people that are in a crowd, though, it should be fine. According to this calculator, if you are using the lens at 105mm and your subject is 2 meters, you would need to be 8.5 meters away. Understanding Camera Lenses According to the same source, you could be up to 17 meters away with a lens that went up to 210. Currently, you need to be 4 meters from your subject while using the kit lens at 50mm. Hopefully that helps (and hopefully I'm putting the numbers in correctly!)

Looking at the photos you posted, I think you would do fine with the 18-105.

For a single lens, I would say the Sony SEL18200 ... the original silver one. You got it all in one lens that is not all that bad ... you can only get this used as it is not made anymore.

Most reactions

Back