Zoom or Telephoto lens?

They are both the same exact lens by the looks. Zoom just means it changes focal length. Telephoto just means its a longer zoom like 300mm as opposed to like 50mm.

They are both the same exact lens by the looks. Zoom just means it changes focal length. Telephoto just means its a longer zoom like 300mm as opposed to like 50mm.

Thats what I was thinking but one is USM Telephoto and the other is just Zoom. So I should go for the telephoto?

They are BOTH telephoto lenses and they are BOTH zoom lenses. In other words they are both telephoto zoom lenses.

It's just wording in the ad, they are the same lens except one is USM and the other is not.

It's just wording in the ad, they are the same lens except one is USM and the other is not.

I think i'll go with the USM model when I sell my old camera to pay for it :)

Get the usm with is, I love that lens.
Yea I had my heart set on that one, gotta wait for someone to buy my Panasonic G1 first for the money though

as others have said, the only difference is the USM. USM is just a better, quieter, faster focus motor I believe. That would be the only difference.

I wouldn't recommend that lens at all. Horrible image quality, slow, and not having IS with a long, slow lens is a nightmare. Just my two cents.

TheBiles said:
I wouldn't recommend that lens at all. Horrible image quality, slow, and not having IS with a long, slow lens is a nightmare. Just my two cents.

IS is great but if you use the lens correctly (i.e. fast enough shutter speed and/or a monopod or tripod) you can use the lens effectively.

TheBiles said:

IS is great but if you use the lens correctly (i.e. fast enough shutter speed and/or a monopod or tripod) you can use the lens effectively.

Yes, but that pretty much limits you to bright sunny days when shooting at 300mm (especially on a crop body). You're going to need 1/500s shutter speeds at f/5.6 without a tripod.

There will always be better lenses out there. And when you get one, there will be another one coming out. So it's a never ending series. An L series lens is ideal but if you've a limited budget and coming from the standard 18-55mm, these will suit you fine.

There will always be better lenses out there. And when you get one, there will be another one coming out. So it's a never ending series. An L series lens is ideal but if you've a limited budget and coming from the standard 18-55mm, these will suit you fine.

You will waste a lot more money making every incremental upgrade because you are too cheap to save up than you will just biting the bullet the first time. I'd recommend the 70-200 f/4L as a base telephoto lens. But hey, that's just me.

You will waste a lot more money making every incremental upgrade because you are too cheap to save up than you will just biting the bullet the first time. I'd recommend the 70-200 f/4L as a base telephoto lens. But hey, that's just me.

I second that. Or get a prime and use nothing else for a long time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back