Zoom verses other lens for portiats?

Shoal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I have a zoom lens and stand back and zoom in take a portrait... and than take the same photo while standing closer with another lens but get the same focal length, is their a difference?

If I have a zoom lens and stand back and zoom in take a portrait... and than take the same photo while standing closer with another lens but get the same focal length, is their a difference?
Not if it's also the same aperture.

If you are using the same Focal length either way, why would you have to move?

I am just wondering if the 'wider angle lens' would have more background showing, than if you were further back and zoomed in for the same focal length? Of if they are the same...

OK, Well "Focal Length" Determines whther a lens is a Wide Angle, Normal Or telephoto

Just for argument sake, Wide Angles are 17-35mm, Normal 36- 60 Telephoto 60 +

So You can't zoom in for the same Focal Length. When you are standing back You will be using a Telephoto (say 135mm) with a narrow Angle of View.

If you move close to your Subject and use a wdie angle lens (24mm) but still frame the subject the same. While your subject will appear the same size, You will see much more of the background with the wide angle. The two lenses have a different "perspective"

If you are using the same Focal length either way, why would you have to move?
Good point. I think the wording of OP's original question is a bit off.

OP is saying "focal length", but now I'm thinking maybe they mean somthing else, like fitting the subject in the frame at the same relative size. That doesn't even take a different lens if the lens is a zoom - just back up while zooming in, or move closer to the subject while zooming out. And if that's what they're wondering about, then yes, it will change the relation of the subject to the background.

That's exactly how we take advantage of using a smaller backdrop with a subject and still fill the space behind and around them in the composition with it: Use a longer lens.

I think you may have wanted to use the term "Angle of View" rather than "Focal Length"

A wide angle lens has a wider angle of view than a telephoto

You should also consider that a fixed focal length lens is optimized for a single focal length which usually means better performance (flatness, CA, contrast, etc.) then a zoom.

Yes, "angle of view" than is a better term

Most reactions

Back