Zoom?

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What Is a good zoom for about $300-$500 for the EF/EF-S mount? I want something about 17-50mm or so and a F/ between 2.8 and 4 or so.

I'm not sure if you would be willing to go 24-70 or if that's too long but sigma has a 24-70 f2.8 for about $400 I've herd was pretty good

errr.....sounds generic.

I used that Sigma until last year, and was quite happy with it. There are good and bad specimens of that lens around though.

CA was an issue with my copy, but bearable.

I have a friend with the Tammy 17-50 f/2.8. A bit noisy and slow with the autofocus compared to a Canon ... but a damn sharp lens. A source to compare lenses is photozone.de

Good Luck,

Gary

I have a friend with the Tammy 17-50 f/2.8. A bit noisy and slow with the autofocus compared to a Canon ... but a damn sharp lens. A source to compare lenses is photozone.de

Good Luck,

Gary

On mine I find the focus speed to be just fine. As for noisy, well maybe Tamron will come out for a muffler for that motor. :lol: As for sharp, I have cut my fingers a time or two on the photos I have printed from it. :D:D

On mine I find the focus speed to be just fine. As for noisy, well maybe Tamron will come out for a muffler for that motor. :lol: As for sharp, I have cut my fingers a time or two on the photos I have printed from it. :D:D

I will clarify-

Focus speed is subjective. Comparing it to my Canon 10-22 or 24-70, the Tammy was slower, but not significantly slower to where you'll miss a shot ... 'cept maybe at a fast move sporting event ... but then you probably won't be using a 17-50 anyway. As to the noise ... it isn't a big deal also ... just different ... quiet is always good ... but a bit of a whine isn't a big deal.

The finger cuts are problematic with this lens.

Gary

I think I'm going with the Sigma 24-70 f\2.8. Thanks guys.

If that 28 is a decent lens ... then you'll really gonna want something wider than 24 because the dif between 24 and 28 is about a step forwards or backwards.

In any case good luck and good shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back