Zooms

Dave Maciak

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All of these zooms I see from members. Does anybody still believe in primes? Just asking.

Primes are a staple for me for wildlife, I have several. 800mm, 500mm, 400mm, 105mm, 65mm, 60mm, 50mm and 8mm. So yeah, my primes outnumber my zooms.

Last edited:
Zooms have become quite good since 1982....it's like asking if anybody still believes in VHS Tapes or Goody combs or Michael Jackson videos....things have changed in the last forty years. VHS IS DEAD.Goody Combs are no longer a status symbol, and big Eighties Hair propped up by a quarter-can of Aqua Net is no longer the style. And of course, Michael Jackson js long dead now.

But prime lenses are still out there, doin' what they always did...but today's zooms are soooo much better than they used to be. In fact, I think some zooms of today might offer performance that's pretty close to some 1970's and 1980's primes.

But it's a matter more of framing and convenience than of optical performance. I used to carry all primes in 1985 and my bag weighed 18.5 pounds...today that could be reduced by substituting a 70-200 zoom for 85,105, 135mm, 180, and 200mm primes...plus i would have 70mm.

The princess phone has been replaced by an iPhone or Android phone that can do more than just one function. A Princess phone made calls...a modern cellular phone can make calls, but it also offers a still camera, a video camera, a compass. E-mail, web access, bluetooth, music, calculator, and more...the single-function device has lost favor, and the multi- function device has gained acceptance. In wide-angles, the Nikkor 14-28 f/2.8 out-performs pretty much any w-a prime Nikon made from 1959 to 2005...in wide-angles, today's top zoom designs are actually better than old-school primes, and one lens can replace three or four primes ( or six).

The way I see it, primes have changed their role..85, 300, and 400 primes offer advantages but in the daily use categories, the market has shifted to zooms that offer excellent results and extreme convenience.

I have a confession: bought and am using a Nikon 28-300. Derrel is to blame!
A great lens, I admit.
get the image

I like primes for quality, compactness and speed. I like zooms for convenience and travel. If I was a landscape or wildlife photog I have zooms

My only zooms are my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 and the 18-105 f/3.5-5.6 kit-lens that came with my D7000.

Primes include a Nikon 50mm f/1.8, a Nikon 20mm f/2.8, a Samyang 14mm f/2.8, a Pro-Optic 8mm f/3.5, a Tamron 300mm f/2.8, and a Tamron 400mm f/4.

Er owns up to a mixed bag of both zoom and prime lenses nifty fifty F1.8 brill for low light indoors.
17. 85 f4.5/5.6 my go to walk about lens.
At the end of the day it’s a personal thing, with so many factors involved. What to me is a go to lens someone else would never use.

You can get good results with just high quality zooms, but will be missing the advantages you can get with primes. Primes are generally faster and sharper than zooms, especially in the corners. Faster means they let in more light so AF usually locks faster and holds better and you can get the shot in lower light conditions. The two lenses I use the most are a 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8, but I always keep a Nifty Fifty f/1.4 in my kit just in case.

I like primes for quality, compactness and speed. I like zooms for convenience and travel. If I was a landscape or wildlife photog I have zooms

Hey, that little Fuji is a fine camera, I use one myself--fits in small case or photo vest pocket! Lens is excellent--and hybrid rangefinder. Built in strobe as well. Very handy when you don't want a big speedlight but need the extra light.
Many happy images with it.
get the image

I have a confession: bought and am using a Nikon 28-300. Derrel is to blame!
A great lens, I admit.
get the image

Ruh- roh!!! Why wid whhaaat?

I hope you enjoy the 28-300....it's a fairly costly zoom, and it seems to do pretty well on full frame digital....

15 years ago i had the 28-200 (the newer version) and it did pretty well on the D70.I used it almost exclusively for about 1 year, and it made some very fine pictures for me.

All of these zooms I see from members. Does anybody still believe in primes? Just asking.

One of the most if not the most important decision you can make about a photo is the choice of perspective. Nothing else so completely determines the look of your image. Moving closer or backing away alters perspective. Being able to select the perspective position and then frame with precision is a tremendously powerful creative tool. Today's zoom lenses aren't yesterday's zoom lenses. I was out this afternoon with my Fuji 16-55mm f/2.8. I pay a price in size and weight but I don't have to compromise my photo.

Joe

The old refrain " zoom with your feet " does not take into account the effects that the camera position plays on perspective.

Zoom or prime, they all have distinct advantages depending on the type of photography you are doing. I have never had a client tell me a zoom or prime would have improved the image in 40+ years.

For many people zooms offer a glimpse into a variety of focal lengths that help them determine which prime they want in their bag. Modern zooms can offer excellent IQ and in some occasions equal to the prime alternatives, not including the merits of faster optics.

I choose to look at them as tools, the right tool for the job. However, I have been known on occasion to open a beer with a screw driver. ;)

I have three Canon primes 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 300 4.0. I also have four zooms three of which are L series. The image quality of the zooms is fantastic. They are a bit hefty but that does not bother me. Having said that, for day sports and wildlife I often bring the 300 as the zooms would be at max focal length anyway. The 85 1.8 is my go to for portraits. I can't describe it but there is something about that lens.

When one knows the what when and where of a shoot it is possible to plan ahead and take the proper primes. When there are a lot of unknowns, zooms are great for flexibility.

Oh, also, my fastest zoom is 2.8. I don't have super fast primes but speed is another benefit.

For me there are clear benefits to both.

Primes: 24,35,50, 85, 105, 135, 180, 300 are all quite useful. 24-70, 70-200, 70--300,80-400 are all useful

Most reactions

Back