Zoo's - Shooting fish in a barrel

crosmill said:
But if you'd read my reply you'd have noticed that I pointed that endangered animals are often kept out of the publics view as they find it too stressfull.

Why do you think it's such a challenge to get captive animals to breed. Zoo's are unpleasent place for animals to be. They don't like it.

But yes I do agree that conservation efforts are being made. But I still dissagree that there is a need for zoo's to fund this.

They are kept out of the public view while they are breeding perhaps, but there are no endangered species at the zoo near me that are kept out of public view.

It's a challenge breeding in the wild as well. The mortality rate is just as high in the wild as it is in captivity, if not higher. Why do you think animals mate so often. To ensure there are enough young ones to have a few survive. At least in captivity they are safe from predators, and their habitat is ensured.

Most of the large, wild animals that once roamed Europe and North America are gone. By 2100 it'll be the same story for South America, Africa, and Asia unless there is a radical attitude change amongst the naked apes.

Cars, indoor plumbing, power generation, farming, and particularly modern medicine is what is destroying all the animals. At least one aspect of zoos is that they educate people on the terrible state the natural world is in right now. Unfortunately I feel that it's too late. The attitude change won't come in time, or at all.

Don't worry, Crosmill. The naked apes are cocky because they've got penicillian and microwave ovens, but if they don't wipe themselves out, nature will eventually do it. The Earth has bounced back from extinction events that have killed over 95% of living creatures time and time again. We won't be so lucky, but our mark here will be insignificant in the big picture. :twisted: A big rock from outer space, or even a volcano can do it, if we don't let the nukes fly or let man made viruses out...

On the downside :lol: some scientists believe that the electromagnetic field is weakening, and the whole planet could be scrubbed clean by the sun and end up like Mars. We haven't found any life there yet.

Everybody have a nice day!

Most reactions

Back