TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (11)
    Liked
    5 times

If Memory Cards get wet??

I was taking a memory card out of my memory card pouch and it fell out of my hand into a deep puddle of water outside. It took me a little bit to fiddle around and find it. Does anyone know if it is ok for memory cards to get wet like that?
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes -- then you will be a mile away from them and have their shoes!

Nikon D300s, Nikkor 85mm 1.8, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Nikkor 16-85mm VR, Nikkor 55-200mm VR, (70-200mm coming soon to a bag near me), SB800, ABR800 Ringflash

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    26 times
    I have heard that memory cards are quite resilient, but, I would suggest, from my limited knowledge, to let the card entirely dry out prior to even taking picture on, or off, of it. Sorry I am not much help.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1 times
    If it dries it should be fine.

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    2 times
    i agree with peanuts. make sure its completely dry before you put it in your computer or camera. better the card then your cam. last thing you want is a wet, or even remotely damp card in your camera.
    flickr
    gear:
    kodak funsaver disposable
    kodak funsaver disposable w/ flash

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (11)
    Liked
    5 times
    thanks so much guys. I have it sitting out to dry. I am praying it is fine, because I am going to really need it come Thursday. It is one of my 3 1GB cards, but I am going on a 17 day vacation and 7 days of that is at Disney World and I know I will be taking tons of pictures each day (uploading them each evening to my laptop).
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes -- then you will be a mile away from them and have their shoes!

Nikon D300s, Nikkor 85mm 1.8, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Nikkor 16-85mm VR, Nikkor 55-200mm VR, (70-200mm coming soon to a bag near me), SB800, ABR800 Ringflash

My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    It should be fine. I have heard of people running flash cards through the clothes washer with no ill effects. As mentioned in previous posts, the card should be bone dry before putting it back into the camera though.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    I've dropped a 1GB Fujifilm XD card in a glass of water and left it for 10mins and it still worked - demonstrated it to a customer and they were lost for words.
    http://artisprime.deviantart.com

Can't win with this siganture business *looks at Danalec*

My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    2 times
    It should work if it dries out completely. You can rinse it off with distillied water to remove any dirt or residue from the puddle then let dry again and it should work.

My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1 times
    People are under the misconception that water conducts electricity. It doesn't. It is the minerals in the water that conducts. So as long as the card is allowed to dry out, ans stated before, it should be fine.
    This goes with any electronic device. Let it dry out before turning it back on.
    Architects design things, Engineers build things, and Cartographers tell them where to go!

My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    exactly. there is no electricity running through memory cards when they are out of the camera anyways.

"I'm in a crowd and I'm still alone" - Placebo
    Selective Coloring = Cheesy

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (11)
    Liked
    5 times
    thanks..I was not worried about the water conducting electricity LOL just worried that the card would no longer work. But I tried it a little bit ago after letting it dry out over night and it seems to be working fine.
    Thanks again everyone!

I am Big, I am Mike Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (111)
    Liked
    1679 times
    I read a test where they ran cards through the washer, dunked them in water and drove over them with a car...they still worked.

My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Not a regular memory card but my USB drive has been beat to h3ll and back and still works fine. It has been through the washer and dryer a few times, went swimming in the river with me, kicked around the hallways of my highschool for a couple of days until someone picked it up and took it to the guidance counselor who looked at the pictures on it and figured out it was mine. After all of that plus a lot more little stuff, it works like new.
    My sony memory sticks for my old camera have been through quite a lot too but nothing too major, and they work yet.
    Canon Rebel XTi
    Canon 430ex flash
    18-55 kit lens
    Sigma 70-300 DG Macro
    50mm 1.8

alter ego: Analog Matt
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    3 times
    I dropped a CF card off of a cliff, into a river, and after about 10 minutes, I spotted the bright yellow card underwater. It took me about 40 minutes to get down to it and retreive it. After letting it dry out for 3 days, I popped it in the card reader, and got the images off of it. I still use it today. Just let it get good and dry.

Ads