12 Excuses to shoot for FREE

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by KmH, Jul 16, 2010.

1. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What a whiner. This is another one of these people who wants to be able to charge whatever they want and expect people to pay.

"How about helping those who earn a living producing photographs by not undercutting them?"

What? So I should try to beat someone elses price? What if I give the same price but add more value? Maybe we should get rid of Free Market photography and just have set prices that we all adhere to. Based this comment that would be the author's ideal world.

I like my day job in IT, but at night I am passionate about photography. I don’t mind self-funding my work because it gives me more creative freedom.

1. Guess what, IT guy? When India’s night work takes over your day job, don’t call me crying about it. Also, don’t bother trying to make a living from your “passion,” because you’re already doing all you can to undermine your chances — as well as everyone else’s.
    What?

How about, "If I don't charge any money people won't expect anything from me?" When they always will even if you don't charge anything.

Bottom line: If you don't value your time then no one else will either. Put the value on your time and set it at that. If your time shooting is worth $100, and your time editing is worth $200 then charge $300. If it's per photo then charge that. If someone else in your area can do the same quality work for less money than you might lose out on some work. In the same way that you might charge less then someone else and steal work from them.

3. wesd

wesd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hte only thing I have to say is for the people starting out "to whom his own" if you can do "free" stuff then cool, just have some balls to know when to say I need to get paid for this. Ocational free time is one thing and free materials is anothe thing. Maby a free shoot but charge for prints or full res shots. To the amatures out there do what feels right, but dont give up your day job until you are comfortable with what you can and are doing with your photography.
    Wes

4. Eco

Eco TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Excellent blog post!

With that said, I've done my fair share of free gigs to build up my portfolio....

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I have my own 12-point list of Acceptable Free Shoot Conditions

1. She is really hot 2. Her sister is really hot 3. Her roommate is really hot
    4. Her roommates (plural) are really hot 5. Her mom is really hot 6. Her daughter is really hot 7. Her cousin is really hot 8. Her niece is really hot 9. Her cousin is really hot 10. Her bar-cruisin' gal pal is really hot 11. She looks mighty cute in them jeans 12. She's got a great bikini bod

I hope you understand how important it is to do these free shoots, provided that conditions are 'right'. Ahem....

6. carvinrocks2

carvinrocks2 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ha ha ha ha ha! :lol: Couldn't agree more!

But I do think that doing a few free gigs when your starting out is the way to go. I hope to do a few free gigs to build up my portfolio without worrying about being sued or having a reputation ruined because I didn't meet expectations.

So a DSLR really has a shutter life? Wow, sort of makes me think twice about buying the used 300D...

7. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    While I'm not in IT, I do have a decent day job that I enjoy and I shoot photos as a hobby. Then again, I'm not trying to turn that into a career.

8. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shot a few shoots initially at cost-of-prints only to build portfolio. They were people I already knew, however, and I drew up an NDA to sign about the prices. :D

9. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Excellent list, though the older I get the more #5 moves up the list.

Seriously though, I don't believe a pro-wantabe should ever shoot for free. That doesn't mean that every shoot requires a money transaction. It means that all shoots should have some transferred value.

I've never shot professionally in the true sense of the term. I've never made a significant portion of my income from my photography. I have, though, on quite a number of occasions shot a job for hire or sold art prints. There have been a few occasions where there was no money exchanged.

The only two reasons that I feel a no-money transaction is justified are:

1. The shoot or album is a gift to a friend or relative. I shot a small beach wedding a few years back as a gift for a young lady that I worked with. It was my wedding present to the couple who really couldn't afford to hire a photographer.

2. Barter exchange where the photographer gets as much value as the "client". A common situation is where the model works "free" in exchange for pictures for their portfolio or other use and the photographer gains experience and perhaps images for their portfolio.

10. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I've never met a pro who blamed the amateur for their business problems.....

11. Morpheuss

Morpheuss TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am so amused by number 7 on the list about the IT guy. because I am an IT guy and I feel pretty secure about having a job someplace especially because I hear so many complains about the people on the other end of the phone when they call tech support... they would just rather take it to geek squad and have them fix it. He just sounds angry about his business has gone down hill a bit so he decided to ***** and complain.

12. Rekd

Rekd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What a whiny little douche. Seriously.

I stopped reading after the first couple of reasons, here's why:

That's right. Because bands ALWAYS call people that don't. shoot. concerts. Does he think we're stupid? Really?

And his response was just as idiotic:

What's he talking about, shooting photos or doing record labels? Stay on topic, man! If you can't base your convictions around the topic at hand you really need to find another topic.

Seriously, if this guy was worth his salt he wouldn't have to bash on people for controlling his destiny.

And did anyone catch this tidbit from a previous article from this flip-flopping crybaby?

From a guy that gets paid to both write AND do photography, all I can say about this guy is "whaaaa". :mrgreen: