1st Official Session of the Year

I like them, but isn't there some ethical or moral issue with cloning a shot from a famous photographer? I mean it's one thing to borrow a pose, but if you didn't tell me, I would've said it was hers... and don't get me wrong, that's a compliment!

I'd love to do the same thing, but I would feel funny do it.

Do you have a link to the shot you are talking about? I am assuming you are talking about Anne Geddes. I honestly have only seen the pictures she's done where the babies are all dressed up as little flowers.
I didn't look at her shots and then go out and try to recreate it. Although I don't necessarily think that's bad to do when you are learning. I once took a drawing class where our professor had us find drawings done by famous artists and we were supposed to try and copy them as best we could.
But, I can see what you are saying about inspiration vs. copying.
I look around at other children's photographers all the time hoping to get some inspiration from them. I've seen more than one use a basket with a sleeping baby on it. In fact, I've seen a sleeping baby on many different things. I take a basket with me to photo shoots just in case the family doesn't have anything else suitable/cute to use in it's place. I personally don't think that it's unethical to use a basket in a photograph just because I've seen other photographers use one.
I do however have a problem with outright copying other photographers work. I had a similar situation from a client recently. I was contacted about doing a session and the mom wanted to see if I could "recreate" some of the shots. I told her that I'd take a look at them and see what it is about the shots that she likes, but I wouldn't outright steal the ideas and recreate all of them for her just because she didn't want to pay that other photographer. I looked at the photos that she had gotten from this other photographer and told her that I could do a better job anyway. She seemed to respect what I had told her.

Do you have a link to the shot you are talking about? I am assuming you are talking about Anne Geddes. I honestly have only seen the pictures she's done where the babies are all dressed up as little flowers.
I didn't look at her shots and then go out and try to recreate it. Although I don't necessarily think that's bad to do when you are learning. I once took a drawing class where our professor had us find drawings done by famous artists and we were supposed to try and copy them as best we could.
But, I can see what you are saying about inspiration vs. copying.
I look around at other children's photographers all the time hoping to get some inspiration from them. I've seen more than one use a basket with a sleeping baby on it. In fact, I've seen a sleeping baby on many different things. I take a basket with me to photo shoots just in case the family doesn't have anything else suitable/cute to use in it's place. I personally don't think that it's unethical to use a basket in a photograph just because I've seen other photographers use one.
I do however have a problem with outright copying other photographers work. I had a similar situation from a client recently. I was contacted about doing a session and the mom wanted to see if I could "recreate" some of the shots. I told her that I'd take a look at them and see what it is about the shots that she likes, but I wouldn't outright steal the ideas and recreate all of them for her just because she didn't want to pay that other photographer. I looked at the photos that she had gotten from this other photographer and told her that I could do a better job anyway. She seemed to respect what I had told her.

I take back everything I said. You're pictures are fantastic, and I am sure your customer is ecstatic to have them. I know I would be.

I certainly didn't mean any disrespect April, and that's how my post sounded.

You are an amazing photographer, and I aspire to be half as talented.

I hope I didn't come across as upset by your comment. I actually thought you brought up a very good point about using other artists work as inspiration vs. outright copying them. You didn't need to take back what you said;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back