1st photo shoot ever.

P-UNIT said:
i would assume the aperture is more important in getting the shot i really want.

Yes but as Alexandra explained, only in this case - not always. Here all of your subjects are completely stationary, so you don't have to choose between freezing action (with a fast shutter speed) or using blur for effect (slow shutter speed). However even here you can't completely discount shutter speed - unless you're using a tripod there's a limit to how long the exposure can be before you get camera shake (with your wide-angle lens probably nothing longer than 1/30th, or 1/60th to be safe).

If you're using film, there's a few tricks that can be employed to improve things. Firstly, use a quality brand of film - I'm a Fuji fan, and Reala 100 is one of the finest sharpest films around for ordinary negative development. Secondly, whilst you're starting out, use a tripod to ensure that hand-shake isn't softening your pictures. You'll get used to hand-holding, but when you're starting, it's tough to hold it just right. Thirdly, try getting your quality film developed at a quality lab - this will show you what good prints will look like - also get it scanned properly.

Otherwise, you've got some good ideas and used some good items as subjects. You may care to search for the "rule of thirds" to get an idea of some compositional techniques which enhance images. Check all four sides of the frame several times to ensure there's nothing sticking out or in the picture that you don't want.

Welcome to the forum!! Hope this helps!

Rob

yes the rule of thirds i am familiar with. however while getting used to this camera i completly forgot about employing it here. thanks for all teh advice though.

went out and took more pics today. better weather. messed with the settings a bit. still developing at walmart because i dont see the need to pay the extra money when my skill level isnt where i want it to be to make really nice looking photos.

i will post these up later

A few things to do when taking photographs of vehicles. Light, light, light, you want lots of it (but not too much!). Take your pictures either early, or later in the afternoon, avoid midday light as much as you can and try to get some nice horizontal rays (if your shadow is about 5-8 feet long you should be good). Keep your back to the sun with the section of your bike you want to photograph facing the sun (if you want a picture of your bike at a different angle, rotate the bike, make sure you stay put). Use your flash! sounds a little strange i know, you probably only have the built in one so it wont do a whole lot but it will help a little (make sure its on force flash, not autoflash). You want to make sure everything on the bike is lit up, the tire treads, the bottom of the bike, everything (this is just to start you off, if you want some shadow in the vents or something feel free to angle the bike toward the sun in such a way that you get that affect, but from my experience the least amount of shadow the better, people want to SEE that beautiful beast!). The bike also seems very small in many of the pictures, i like #12 the best and i wouldn't go any smaller then that if you want the bike as your subject. Also to start off, forget the other cars and just concentrate on your subject, once you feel comfortable enough with your ability then add the others in, no reason to make it harder on yourself! Also going back to #12, you have the right idea with ground level point of view, keep doing that, those usually turn out the best (you get to see more detail this way). Good luck on your next session!

Pretty good man. If you are like I am, you may have been happier if you took a couple steps closer to the cars and stuff before you shot. They may have been more interesting, and framed a bit better.

Most reactions

Back