2 things a wedding photographer taught me.

On that subject, try taking photos under a daylight CFL (6500K Color Temperature). The bulbs give off a blueish light, makes it very easy to reproduce a light box without the expensive flash equipment.

What's expensive? You can get two flashes and wireless triggers for about $150-$180. And that means you can use them for other things as well.

"Shoot away, as much as possible, so you can get away with a couple decent photos" does sound a bit frivolous, but as cheap as memory is there isn't much point in being stingy with it either.

I thought God's gift to wedding photographers is low, white ceilings. I love wedding tents; it's like a giant Lumiquest bouncer. I always assumed the Devil was responsible for florescents. I'll take incandescent anytime; easy to color balance the flash and ambient with a CTO filter on the flash. Florescents come in all sorts of colors; often different colors in the same room.

What's expensive? You can get two flashes and wireless triggers for about $150-$180. And that means you can use them for other things as well.

Can you link me to this deal?

Seriously.

I haven't seen said deal either (unless you're talking about cheapie auto flashes).

Florescents come in all sorts of colors; often different colors in the same room.

I agree that this is the main problem. People often mix different color temp and brand, also the age of the lamps change the quality as well.

Can you link me to this deal?

Seriously.

I haven't seen said deal either (unless you're talking about cheapie auto flashes).

The deal is in putting it together yourself.

EBay:
2 Vivitar 283's - $70
2 Gadget Infinity Cactus V2S triggers & 1 receiver - $40

B&H:
2 light stands - $40
2 Wescott 43" white shoot through umbrellas - $40
2 Umbrella adapters - $30

Flash Zebra:
2 3.5mm miniphone to Vivitar sync cables - $10

$230 for just what I can think of off the top of my head. That's a 2 light setup. If you go without umbrellas or adapters, that's $175ish just to get started. One light with umbrellas stands etc? about $140

The Vivitars are manual flashes but they work beautifully for off camera work. I have two of the new 285HV's and I was thinking about getting some of the 283's to add to my collection.

on her own. She seemed a bit flustered, and she left before Bride & Groom drove off.

It was a D50 with 18-55 and 55-200 f/4-5.6. Hot shoe flash never bounced. Anyway, don't want to talk her down, she was real nice. The situation just ended up being a little weird, as our roles sort of flip flopped.

Here's a place to critique on a few of the photos http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143062

Keith, for a first wedding you did a great job!

Just watch your horizons on the group shots. A few lacked critical eye focus, but on the whole you created several very good compositions. The dress close ups lacked highlight details that should've been there however. Perhaps you've found your calling...oh, and ignore everything that primary photog lady told you....

As for flourescent lighting, it's not a big deal...just shoot raw and use auto-WB and then fix it later fast and easy during raw conversion. This works great especially in mixed lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back