2020 Fall sports, maybe

Just heard at the school's webinar for the parents, that fall sports has been merged with Winter, for a 2 season year (Winter + Spring).
Winter season starts on Dec 14.
Personal feeling is that December is a "maybe," depending on the virus rate in the county.
There will be contention for the same facilities, so individual sports may have less games and/or weekend games, which we rarely had.
- Football and soccer, for the football/soccer field.
- Girls volleyball and boys and girls basketball for the gym.

@ac12, we are still on track for a "normal" season start here. I talked to the Superintendent of schools briefly last night but didn't bring up the sports side, just complimented him on the job they are doing in light of the situation. (giving him my support)

We are "distance learning" for the 1st quarter, till Oct 9. So the campus is effectively closed.
2nd quarter is TBD, depending on the county's infection numbers.
They are getting ready to do a hybrid on-campus + distance (for those that don't want their kids on campus).
In the hybrid model, the distance learning will probably be taken over by the district.

The principal said no large groups, so very little spectators at sport games.
And likewise, no concerts and plays.

I really hate to see High School kids lose their senior year. College is a bit different. They can extend another year of eligibility. One year, when I played in college, three of the five starters on the O-line were in grad school: Law, Business, and Education.

Currently an athlete has 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. The NCAA could simply make that 6.

I just saw our new sport schedule.
Essentially Fall sports has been moved to Winter (new Season-1), and Winter and Spring sports combined (new Season-2).
Season-2 will run past the end of the normal school year, into mid June.
Spring sports was bad before, this year it will be TOUGH to shoot, with 13 different sports. Then multiply by boys and girls, then multiply by JV, Varsity and some Freshman. That is over 50 different teams. :eek:

The AD just told me that with the compressed schedule and contention for limited facilities, there will be Saturday games.
I am hoping for day game for some of the field sports that normally play at night. That will make it much easier for the kids to shoot.

I'm actually waiting to hear about protocol for where we can and can't be. Softball has home games on Monday and I have media day for the football teams tomorrow all day.

August 5 the Oregon OSAA pushed fall sports back to March...m

I recently heard that IF Season-1/new-Winter is delayed due to Covid, Season-2/new-Spring might be cancelled.
This is because, it would be impractical to do ALL the sports in one season. As it is, Season-2 is overloaded, and the facilities are in contention.

This whole thing is a big mess. now we have the pac-12 and the big ten canceling their fall sports seasons and the big 12 and the SEC and the ACC saying they are going to go forward.

In college it is about MONEY. For some colleges, football brings in a LOT of revenue.
So from a finance PoV, I can see the college admin wanting to get the revenue stream flowing, or they have to cut expenses (teachers/professors, classes, maintenance, building, etc.)

And there are the die hard football people that REALLY WANT FOOTBALL, no matter what.
Just like the people that don't want to wear a mask, they don't care about the players, they want their entertainment.

I read about another issue for both high school and college players.
By not playing, the players are reducing their chances of being picked. If they don't play, the scouts won't see them playing.
- The high school players, for college athletic scholarships.
- The college players, for professional teams.

Tough situation.

Hey Guys (and Ladies if you like sports), just a couple from this evenings scrimmage.

It rained some but that was no problem. Cover the camera and lens and enjoy the fact that I was shooting football again.

1) Both players with their feet off the ground.

CHS - MHS Srimmage - 0272_.jpg

2) Pass breakup

CHS - MHS Srimmage - 0437_.jpg

3) More feet off the ground.

CHS - MHS Srimmage - 0593_.jpg

4) Almost a pick.

CHS - MHS Srimmage - 0691_.jpg

5) Everyone is walking on clouds that football is back.

CHS - MHS Srimmage - 0715_.jpg

Thanks Derrel. The rust was apparent but I think that was the operator and not the equipment.

Being idle for half a year dulls the reflexes.
That is a perspective that I just cannot seem to get across to many of the kids.
You cannot just go out and shoot, and expect to get great pics.
It takes a lot of work, and practice.

Most reactions

Back