29 May 2004

Bobman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please comment.....

kat02.jpg

stacy01.jpg

I was just in Singapore two weeks ago!
Alas i am no portrait guru and i know you want comments on your photos so here is my two cents worth.

I like #1 but would like to see the shadow on her neck gone. Just seems a little too dark for me. Maybe a reflector or some sort of other lighting throwing light up into that area. The model also seems to be either uninterested in the whole thing or not relaxed. I think a distant stare or a reminiscing(?) type stare is nice but she is just flat out focusing on one thing right in front of her and that doesn't portray any type of emotion or feeling to your shot.

Shot #2 is good but i tend to agree with Dandy that it is too dark. Her hair just disappears into the background leaving a strange-ish outline to her head. It would have been hard to take this one with such a shiny dress, as too much light would have reflected back, but once again maybe either some reflected or soft lighting or even a little back light to highlight her against the black backdrop.

Once again i emphasize i am not a portrait taker, but i hope some of what i said makes sense let alone helps.

Good shots overall though and you're a lot gutsier than me 'cause i avoid portrait taking like the plaque :)

#1:
I like the comp. The eyes are in the hotspot (where they should be)
I like the pose.
I like the expression
I like the shadow control on the neck and elsewhere.
I do not like the lifeless eyes. they're black empty holes. What happened to their catch lights? Did you PS'em out?

#2:
I like the light ratio on the face.
I like the two-light attempt. It looks like a 10 o'clock main combined with a front fill light. The front fill apparently has added just enough light to the dark cheek to maintain a 1 to 1.5 ratio between light and shadow. I LOVE THAT COMBO.
I do not like the abscence of the "kicker light" on the hair but I sense you probably delibertly omitted that in order to preserve the Low Key charactistics.

Overall, I like these low-key portraits. You did good

The Rebel

Most reactions

New Topics

Back