3200 MegaPixels

hmmm. I wonder how well it will work given that every other telescope sensor design takes the opposite approach of not cramming megapixels in and instead focusing on low noise large light collecting pixels....

Most telescopes are designed to look at a tiny piece of the sky using incredible reach like a telephoto lens.

The LSST will be looking at large segments of the sky, like a wide angle lens instead of a telephoto.

Really makes me wonder what kind of gear people will have 100 years from now.

Most telescopes are designed to look at a tiny piece of the sky using incredible reach like a telephoto lens.

The LSST will be looking at large segments of the sky, like a wide angle lens instead of a telephoto.

Still questionable. Most telescopes area also capable of capturing the wider sky field due to the fact that in the grand scheme of things stars don't move relative to each other lending to the perfect example where stitching panoramas becomes most useful.

I'm just wondering how useful this will ultimately be. Sure it'll take fantastic pictures, but useful for any kind of science?

Talk about large format:

LSST—Home

Nah, not that big. Ilford Delta 100 has a l/mm of 160, with an 11x14 camera that is about 44704x56896 pixels, or 2,543,478,784 pixels, or 2,543MP. There are much bigger film cameras than 11x14 :D Even a little ole 8x10 camera is 1,321MP!

Allan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back