35MM Camera Suggestion

AngelicOutlaw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post here but I am going to get straight to the point. My sister is an amature photographer and takes amazing pictures in my opinion. Her current camera is old and out dated & I want to get her a new camera, but I know nothing about cameras or photography. What is the best camera out on the market now? Under $600? Why is it the best camera in your opinion? Thanks much for the the help!

Sarah

We'll need more info, such as what she likes to take pictures of.

What kind of camera does she have now? What are some things about it she likes? What are some things she dislikes?

Although, admittedly there have been some really awful camera models put on the market, "old and outdated" doesn't mean it's not a good camera. What makes her photos "amazing" is in her head and not in the camera. Sometimes too many bells and whistles actually get in the way of learning to be a better photographer.

Another consideration is that in a year or so you will probably be able to get a good digital SLR for $600. Unless you like working in the darkroom (like me!), I think that most folks find digital much convenient, and way cheaper in the long run. She could keep shooting with the old film rig for the next year, and then you could fire her up with a DSLR.

I have the fuji film s7000 it is great. Any of fugi film cameras are good , so are the cannon's. 8)

There are many very good <$600 cameras on the market. For the most part, the comparable models from any of the big companies will give similar features and results.

That being said, wouold it be possible for you to tkae her to a camera shop and let her hold several different cameras to get a feel for which one fits her hand the best and has the buttons in good positions for her?

The $300-600 crowd has some pretty impressive cameras in it. The Canon EOS Elan 7e(Canon has the most lens choices on he market), the Nikon N80 (the Nikon name is important to some photographers), or the Minolta Maxxum 7 (at the higher end of the $3-600 range, maybe over $600 if you are in a high-price area ) would be my top 3 choices.

I agree thos are the top three out there from the research i have been doing. I'm a minolta fan it was how i started out.(minolta 450si) I have been looking around for a new camera myself and i am going to get the minolta maxxum 7 a bit $$$ but has some good features such as the mirror lock up and depth of field preview and a high end shutter speed at 1/8000 i think. On a side note i would love to get the canon EOS 30 ,or the minolta 9 ,or nikon F5 sweet :D .....but who can spend 2k on a camera ???

I live and breathe Nikon - the FE2 is a great camera - pls check it out. You can set your own f/stop or shutter - or go full manual - or select from various degrees of automatic - like - you pick the shutter speed the camera picks the f/stop - etc.
I suggest you go to the nearest "real" camera store, and spend some time playing with different models and asking a lot of questions. The camera you choose will come down to price, comfort with the controls and settings and quality - never sacrifice the quality for the price.
Good luck - happy shopping.

Most reactions

Back