5D Mark ii or 7D

I was contemplating the 7D and the D300 when purchasing a camera a few months ago. I went with the 50D because it shoots at 7.3fps, good picture, excellent focus, and all the customizing I need at my level. Good for action and landscape. ;)

Just like in another similar thread, what do you want to gain from the upgrade? What is the limitation of your current setup? If you know the answers, then it will help you on how to spend your money.

I want to attain better image quality, period. If there are other bells and whistles that come along with that, then fine. I've been looking at a lot of reviews and the 5D is better than the 7D when it comes to image quality.

Danny

you want a better lens then

I was contemplating the 7D and the D300 when purchasing a camera a few months ago. I went with the 50D because it shoots at 7.3fps, good picture, excellent focus, and all the customizing I need at my level. Good for action and landscape. ;)

6.3 fps

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. Looking back on the posts now has helped tremendously in making my decision. I'm at the point where I'm ready to make my purchase and I have decided to invest in a better/faster lens and stick with the XSi body.

I took some shots with my friend's 7D and I was not all that impressed. It's better as far as the features we all know about, but it wasn't night and day better than my XSi.

Not only that, I have only begun to scratch the surface of what the XSi can do. I understand now that the current limitation is not the camera, but me. While I am learning a lot a pretty quick pace, I still have not exhausted the abilities of the XSi. Plus when I think about it, I love the camera!

Anyway, moving on to the lenses I am considering a few options:

24-70 2.8L USM
200 2.8L
85 1.8

My needs are to shoot soccer games that will take place primarily during the mid day. I already have a 70-200 4.0L and that's just fine for mid day shooting, plenty of light.

The main need that I have is to shoot baseball at night and basketball indoors and the faster 24-70, 85 or 200 would be much better suited to that task. the 70-200 4.0 is pretty useless for it.

So which lens is best? I like the 24-70 for basketball but the reach of this lens might be limiting for Baseball.

The 200 is good but limiting for the closer focal lengths both in Basketball and Baseball.

The 85 is the same as the 200 as far as pros and cons for what I need.

Which is the better lens as far as sharpness; all things being equal.

Thanks,
Danny

If you have to choose between the 2, 7D. I don't know if upgrading the body is *really* necessary but I understand wanting to upgrade...as I'm that type of person too.

The 7D will be miles ahead for the uses you're going for. For landscape/portrait photography you really can't get much better than the 5D Mk II, but for taking pictures of your kids, sports, etc... the 7D can't be beat by anything less than $4k. One of the fastest-focusing bodies I've ever seen and the 8FPS burst is ridiculously helpful. Fantastic camera.

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. Looking back on the posts now has helped tremendously in making my decision. I'm at the point where I'm ready to make my purchase and I have decided to invest in a better/faster lens and stick with the XSi body.

I took some shots with my friend's 7D and I was not all that impressed. It's better as far as the features we all know about, but it wasn't night and day better than my XSi.

Not only that, I have only begun to scratch the surface of what the XSi can do. I understand now that the current limitation is not the camera, but me. While I am learning a lot a pretty quick pace, I still have not exhausted the abilities of the XSi. Plus when I think about it, I love the camera!

24-70 2.8L USM
200 2.8L
85 1.8

My needs are to shoot soccer games that will take place primarily during the mid day. I already have a 70-200 4.0L and that's just fine for mid day shooting, plenty of light.

The main need that I have is to shoot baseball at night and basketball indoors and the faster 24-70, 85 or 200 would be much better suited to that task. the 70-200 4.0 is pretty useless for it.

So which lens is best? I like the 24-70 for basketball but the reach of this lens might be limiting for Baseball.

The 200 is good but limiting for the closer focal lengths both in Basketball and Baseball.

Thanks,
Danny

Not to be rude (even though you've already admitted it)...but that is definitely photographer skill level that doesn't let you see a big difference.

The difference between an XSi and 7D is *massive* in almost every single way. If you didn't see a huge change then you probably have a long way to go before you're ready to migrate away from a Rebel.

24-70... all day everyday.. it will become fixed to your camera.. you can take damn near any photo with that lens... i use it well over the 200 or the 85.. however the 85 takes the nicest headshots and detail shots ive ever seen. but thats all you'll be really using it for..

Guys,

24-70 2.8L USM
200 2.8L
85 1.8

Thanks,
Danny

Not to be rude (even though you've already admitted it)...but that is definitely photographer skill level that doesn't let you see a big difference.

The difference between an XSi and 7D is *massive* in almost every single way. If you didn't see a huge change then you probably have a long way to go before you're ready to migrate away from a Rebel.

You're probably right. I saw some difference but not enough *for me* to upgrade. Perhaps in a year or so.

Danny

the 7D would be a great update for what you do. Better ISO, faster AF, faster FPS, more MP (if you need to crop). All those feature there are crucial and a must if you serious about shooting sport. Of course fast pro lens are just as important. IMO, since you already have a good L lens (70-200 f/4) I'd go with a 7D.

I actually just got my 7D body yesterday. I upgraded from a T1i and it IS night and day. Maybe not so much in the image quality. That isn't as noticeable ( of course I haven't uploaded and zoomed in yet either ) but the AF is superb, the body is awesome, the features and customization are awesome. That 100% viewfinder is nice too. I am VERY happy with this. While I would have liked a 5D, realistically I would need fast focus and speed for what I prefer shooting ( wildlife, sports ) but a 5D would be wonderful for landscapes. While I love landscapes, I never tend to shoot them too often unless I am on a vacation. Sports and wildlife I can shoot locally much easier and more often.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back