6d vs 5d mark III

fusooy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a question to all the 6d users who have had used 5dm3 before. Besides the cost, weight, and the AF system, in what areas can 6d match up to the 5dm3. Am having a troubled time deciding between the two and there arent enough extensive reviews abt the 6d in the net at this moment.

To add on, Canon claims the 6D's 11 point AF system is capable of improved accuracy at extremely low light levels. Can any 6D user vouch for this?

If you can afford the MkIII, I wouldn't even consider the 6D.

Edit: 6D has only 1 cross type AF point, which isn't a great big deal if your shooting a still subject...but try tracking a moving subject and you'll notice some issues arise. Besides, 6D is an "entry full frame" and MkIII is a much better system. 6D has decent low light capabilities for what it is, but I wouldn't say better than the MkIII. Either way, you will need good glass to get the best results with both as well.

What lenses do you all ready have ?
It is not only the camera body. Lenses are for me more impotent. I use the 5D3 and like it. For me the AF system, 100% view finder CF / SD card slot.

Superdaantje said:
It is not only the camera body. Lenses are for me more impotent. I use the 5D3 and like it. For me the AF system, 100% view finder CF / SD card slot.

I have 50mm f1.4, 135m f2, 35mm,f1.4, & 40mm f2.8. Is there any other lenses recommended? I am basically into portrait, landscape and event photography.

You don't have what many would consider a landscape focal length lens (wide angle, in the 12 - 24 mm range).

85 mm is considered the primary focal length for doing portraits, with 105 mm, 135 mm, and even 200 mm being desirable for portraiture. The longer telephoto focal lengths magnify both the subject and background image elements making OOF backgrounds look even more OOF. No doubt, to maintain subject scale in the image frame the camera has to be further from the subject. Having the camera further from the subject when using a telephoto lens also makes the longer focal length DoF the same as a closer focus distance with a shorter focal length lens.

50 mm to 40 mm is equivalent to about half a step closer or further from a portrait subject, and an almost unless focal length difference for doing landscape.

For event photography, zoom lenses are quite handy.

yeah, you definitely want to get yourself some L lenses in the wide end of the range. Like the 16-35 or the 14mm F2.8 L

The 6D is JUST hitting the streets, in limited numbers...Ken Rockwell is already gushing about his new 6D...he loves the ergonomics of it. He's already calling it the "world's best d-slr". Seriously. He has become a real hardcore equipment junkie the last few years, having bought himself basically almost every high-end camera that his the market...Leica, Nikon,Canon. There really are NOT many 'regular user reports' on the 6D available just yet--that will take at least another month, to three months. I watched the Digital Rev (a TPF sponsoring vendor, BTW) Nikon D600 vs Canon 6D side-by-sdie comparison video, roughly 13 minutes of my life I will never get back...the 6D seemed like it was a decent performer...as long as Canon is extorting $3,500 for the 5D-III, the 6D ought to be their #1 FF seller,with a bullet.

FF and FX sales are around 5% of d-slr sales for Canon and Nikon, most experts believe.

The 6D is JUST hitting the streets, in limited numbers...Ken Rockwell is already gushing about his new 6D...he loves the ergonomics of it. He's already calling it the "world's best d-slr". Seriously. He has become a real hardcore equipment junkie the last few years, having bought himself basically almost every high-end camera that his the market...Leica, Nikon,Canon. There really are NOT many 'regular user reports' on the 6D available just yet--that will take at least another month, to three months. I watched the Digital Rev (a TPF sponsoring vendor, BTW) Nikon D600 vs Canon 6D side-by-sdie comparison video, roughly 13 minutes of my life I will never get back...the 6D seemed like it was a decent performer...as long as Canon is extorting $3,500 for the 5D-III, the 6D ought to be their #1 FF seller,with a bullet.

FF and FX sales are around 5% of d-slr sales for Canon and Nikon, most experts believe.

Well, I certainly take what Rockwell says with a grain of salt because I don't always agree with what he says (especially about shooting raw). But anyways, there have been a few mixed reports on the 6D, I guess the only way to really find out is to rent one and try it out. I wouldn't buy it because if your spending that much money on a FF body, I would save up more for the MkIII or get a MkII. I do think the 6D has decent high ISO performance, but to call it the "world's best DSLR" with it's sluggish FPS and barely present AF system is a bit much.

6D new body only: $2099, 5DmkII new body only : $1799 (source is B&H photo for both cameras)[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

I'd agree with CP1 on the idea that it's too much to call the 6D the best DSLR in the world, however it is a very nice FF option for those without the budget for a 5DIII, or a 1DX. I would be very inclined to choose the 6D over the 5DII though...

I'm going with the 6D. Initially, I was debating between the 5d mii and this body originally, but after doing some more research, it's no contest. The cleanliness of the images that I've seen from the 6d versus the mark ii is better. Also, for $300 more, the 6d has a better autofocus system, plus the bells and whistles of newer DSLRs, not to mention the wifi (which I love) and the GPS.

As far as the 5dMiii, I believe you get more bang for your buck with the 6d. Looking at image comparisons on Canon & Nikon Digital SLR Camera and Lens Reviews at The-Digital-Picture.com, the 6d quality is identical to the miii at lower ISOs. After about 3200, i think the 6d outperforms miii. I took into consideration that the miii has more pixels so you see more of the noise at the same ISOs as the 6d, but even still, I think the 6d beats it; slightly. Of course the miii has a way better autofocus system than the 6d's but I shoot mostly stills so this is not a factor for me. Also, based on reviews that i've read, the center focus on the 6d is slightly better than miii. Plus the miii doesn't come with the wifi or the gps. I don't really care about gps, but as I mentioned before, I really like the wifi capability of the camera based on some videos I have seen demoing it.

At the end of the day all that really matters to me is how clean the image looks and at the very least, the 6d is just as good as the miii.

Danny

Superdaantje said:

I have 50mm f1.4, 135m f2, 35mm,f1.4, & 40mm f2.8. Is there any other lenses recommended? I am basically into portrait, landscape and event photography.
Depends on your budget. I'm very happy with the Canon 24-70 II and 70-200 II combination. As UWA I use the 16-35 II and macro the 100 IS

Apparently, from the tests that I've seen online, the ISO performance is just as good as if not better than the 5DIII. The Digital Picture even says it's slightly better, and I was quite amazed at the IQ of 25,000 ISO

Fancy autofocus and a steep price tag don't equate to a better sensor I guess lol.

Now that I know the sensor is at least on par I will probably buy it because I do like the ergonomics of my 60D, and If I need sports photos I always have y 1D to fall back on

The video end kind of sucks though. It line skips instead of down samples like the 5DIII. This causes some pretty bad moire.

But it's not any worse than my 60D, so I can live with it. At least until I decide to sell it if I don't like it and save up for the 5D Mark III

The specifications that a camera has do not always accurately predict the actual, real-world PERFORMANCE of that camera. Sometimes the bare-bones "specs" on one or two metrics simply do not reflect how well the entire system comes together. A great example was the Nikon D2x...it had only an 11-area AF system, with 9 cross-type sensors...I think that camera's AF performance is every bit as good as, and in some scenarios actually better than, the performance of the 51-point AF system in the D3x.

Well, I certainly take what Rockwell says with a grain of salt because I don't always agree with what he says (especially about shooting raw). But anyways, there have been a few mixed reports on the 6D, I guess the only way to really find out is to rent one and try it out. I wouldn't buy it because if your spending that much money on a FF body, I would save up more for the MkIII or get a MkII. I do think the 6D has decent high ISO performance, but to call it the "world's best DSLR" with it's sluggish FPS and barely present AF system is a bit much.

6D new body only: $2099, 5DmkII new body only : $1799 (source is B&H photo for both cameras)

You do realize that the 5DII's autofocus system and FPS rate were even worse, right? The 5DII has 9 focal points and 1 cross type sensor. So, if the 6Ds AF system is 'barely there' what does that make the 5DII's? I really can't envision a way that the 5DII is a better camera than the 6D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back