6d vs 5d mark III

The specifications that a camera has do not always accurately predict the actual, real-world PERFORMANCE of that camera. Sometimes the bare-bones "specs" on one or two metrics simply do not reflect how well the entire system comes together. A great example was the Nikon D2x...it had only an 11-area AF system, with 9 cross-type sensors...I think that camera's AF performance is every bit as good as, and in some scenarios actually better than, the performance of the 51-point AF system in the D3x.

Yeah, I'll take extremely accurate focal points over a metric crap load of them any day of the week. I wouldn't even mind the 5DII's 9 point system if it wasn't for the fact that the 8 non cross type were crappy as all get out.

I'm kind of excited for the low light focusing of the 6D. I'm hoping the specs aren't lying lol.

And does anybody know if the 6D autofocuses during video with the STM lenses?

I have a question to all the 6d users who have had used 5dm3 before. Besides the cost, weight, and the AF system, in what areas can 6d match up to the 5dm3. Am having a troubled time deciding between the two and there arent enough extensive reviews abt the 6d in the net at this moment.
Everything it's night and day different......I'm going to keep my 60D for now,I only wish the focusing system was better,I'm going to wait awhile to get a 5d3 or I might consider a jump to Nikon and a D800.

Last edited:
I have a question to all the 6d users who have had used 5dm3 before. Besides the cost, weight, and the AF system, in what areas can 6d match up to the 5dm3. Am having a troubled time deciding between the two and there arent enough extensive reviews abt the 6d in the net at this moment.

I have tried multiple 5D mark III's. I've been shooting a little over a year with a mark II and loved it to death until it got water damage from a couple drips. I tried the 6D and I just bought it last Friday. Let me say something. The best camera is the one you have. I have always been the person to buy the more expensive one of everything, just to say i have the higher level. Its just a love for having the best. But for once I actually though about it alot. Do I NEED the complex AF of the mark II? Do I NEED the dual card slots, burst rate and a bigger screen? Do I NEED 2 more megapixels? I ended up with the 6D and I can say this, it is a fantastic performer, it does everything that I need. I have a 7D as well for sports and fast moving subjects, and my mark II will be repaired soon. The focus in lowlight is amazing. It can focus in the most extreme darkness and its accurate!. I do portraiture and alot of still life photography, so the autofocus doesnt have to be out of this world. The IQ is unbelievable. I was shooting upward of ISO 16,000 the other night and i was really impressed with how well it did. My mark II was getting bad and unusable around ISO 5000. The build quality feels great, although the top is polycarbonate over magnesium alloy of the mark III, you cant really tell to the point where it feels cheap, because it doesnt at all. The Wifi.... something I didnt think I would use, but it is amazing and I find myself using it every time i shoot. posting previews from my phone to my pages and clients. Its not about which camera is better than the other, i used to fret over that so much. Its all about what you need and what you shoot. Still subjects/portraiture: 6D. Sports: 5DIII .

Hope I could help

Kris

I would recommend the 6d to anyone on a budget. The camera is on par in many ways with the 5d mark iii. The main issue I have with the 6d is the "wheel" and "directional" buttons on the back. Outside of a few minor differences, the images are amazing on both cameras. Invest in good glass. The only way I would recommend the 5d mark iii over the 6d is if you are a heavy video shooter. There are some artifact issues in the footage on the 6d that doesn't occur in the 5d. Also - you can't plug headphones into the 6d to hear the audio your shooting. A major issue that almost makes the camera useless for those shooting video professionally.

But, for stills, I love my 6d. Blows my 1d mark iin and 5d mark ii out of the water!

6D owner here! Extremely happy with my 6D. Gotta say the noise performance is off the charts. I never shoot with flashes and i always find myself in really low light situations so it was a fantastic fit for me. A lot of people are down on the 6D for it's primitive AF system but to be honest, i've always used the center point no matter what camera i use. I lock the focus on my subject and than just move the camera. It allows me to target the EXACT thing i want in focus, not leaving it up to the dozens of AF points to guess what i want.

Anyway, Enjoy the 6D brother!

Noise example: $tumblr_mla5a0qAPJ1qcoayvo1_1280.jpg

They are not even in the same playing field. The 5d Mk III out performs the 6 on numerous levels.

They are not even in the same playing field. The 5d Mk III out performs the 6 on numerous levels.
Well, that's not really a fair assessment. They're aimed at two different markets. The III is aimed at rich amateurs. The 6 is aimed at entry-level APS-C upgraders. Yea, the III has a more complex and POSSIBLY more useful AF system, depending on what you shoot. But as some have noted, the extremely precise center point on the 6 will get you a razor sharp focus on pretty much anything except a nervous hummingbird, and you can focus in near darkness with it. Yeah, the III has a higher FPS rate. Not of a whole lot of use for portrait or landscapers. Yeah, it has two card slots. Meh. Yeah, it costs $1500 more. They both have the virtually the same sensor and DIGIC processor, so the IQ is a wash between them. The 6 has GPS and WiFi which MAY be of use to some, and if it IS, it's well worth the slight,very slight, weather-sealing nod to high-impact thermoplastic on top instead of a full metal body.

The III does NOT have a lot of PERFORMANCE improvements over the 6, with the exception of the AF system, and as noted, that is not a big deal to a certain fairly large segment of shooters. And many would argue the lighter weight, GPS and WiFi more than offset 2 card slots.

I made the right decision getting my 6D. I love it. :)

Most reactions

Back