A $2400 40mm f/0.85 lens for mirrorless

What this guy thinks:

"At $2000 and the size and weight, you'd certainly only buy it to use at F0.85, otherwise I think the performance is sub of the smaller and cheaper alternatives. There is only a 1/3 stop gain on the Voigtlanders for twice the money, so I don't think they will sell many for M43, and the lack of DoF on larger sensors probably isn't very nice for cinema or stills, especially where the Sony's can just blast the ISO. Interesting to see another entry into this system, however."

New Mirrorless Lens "Handevision Ibelux 40mm F0.85": Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

What this guy thinks:

"At $2000 and the size and weight, you'd certainly only buy it to use at F0.85, otherwise I think the performance is sub of the smaller and cheaper alternatives. There is only a 1/3 stop gain on the Voigtlanders for twice the money, so I don't think they will sell many for M43, and the lack of DoF on larger sensors probably isn't very nice for cinema or stills, especially where the Sony's can just blast the ISO. Interesting to see another entry into this system, however."

New Mirrorless Lens "Handevision Ibelux 40mm F0.85": Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The bokeh has an awful, awful ellipsoidal shape to it....simply put the way it renders OOF point light sources on that Hasselblad Lunar (aka Sony) looks God-awful. Maybe mechanical vignetting? Looks like fertilizer to me.

What this guy thinks:

The bokeh has an awful, awful ellipsoidal shape to it....simply put the way it renders OOF point light sources on that Hasselblad Lunar (aka Sony) looks God-awful. Maybe mechanical vignetting? Looks like fertilizer to me.

Well what if you suddenly find yourself in a situation where your taking glamour shots aboard a pirate vessel? Huh? What then smarty pants.. ya, that's right. Then you'll be darn grateful that you can bokeh out that eye patch, or that peg leg. Well worth the $2400 right there. Well, maybe not for me of course living in Nebraska but boy if I lived someplace where I might someday have to produce flattering pirate portraits at a moments notice because my life depended on it...

Rotfl

Why not ?

Look at the manufacturer's sample images. As Popular Photography magazine said, there's a lot of distortion at the edges of the frame. As in a LOT of loss of quality, in a very weird sort of way. The sample photos are all very carefully,carefully contrived so as to avoid having much that should be in focus at the areas near the edges of the pictures...again, look at the subjects they have chosen--small subjects, in the center or near the edges, but nothing really going to the edges, so that the weird distortion isn't easily seen.

Impressions | HandeVision

Look at the shot of the two benches, or at the array of candles. Ugh. This lens has been designed I think to separate innocents from their money. Which in business, is something companies are willing to do quite often. But this does not look like in real photography situations, that the results would be acceptable to the kind of smarter buyers who actually DO LIKE ultra high-speed lenses. The edges of the frames are all rubbish, so they've chosen subject matter where the edges are wayyyyyy out of the depth of field plane, as a way to try and hide that.

i've seen better lens baby images...

i've seen better lens baby images...

You know, the Lensbaby 2.0 is actually somewhat similar in its character when the lens is "zero'd out" and not tilted or shifted around. it's actually fairly sharp in the entire central area.

But yeah, this f/0.85 MONSTROUS 40mm lens....it looks like it's about the size of a 135mm f/2.5 [sic] from the 1970's, which is to say about as fat and at least as long as a 12-ounce soda can. It's the longest danged 40mm lens I'll probably ever live to see. But...man...if people want really fast but GOOD lenses for m4/3, they ought to look at some of the Voigtlander high-speed lenses. QUALITY lenses, for less money than this German one-off model, and lenses that make images that do not look like crap at the edges of the frame...I mean, provided that Voigtlander's lineup of three m4/3 lenses all at f/0.95 is fast enough.
Voigtlander M43 17mm f/0.95

Most reactions

Back